• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Peter Ewer Organ...

Share/Bookmark

Peter Ewer Organ...

I had a chance to listen to Ewer\'s symphonic organ, and boy, I am impressed. I\'ve heard a demo of this organ using the louder velocities, but today I got to hear the softer notes of the organ, and they are beautimus.

Anyone know where I can get this library the cheapest?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Peter Ewer Organ...

Originally posted by A_Sapp:
    I had a chance to listen to Ewer\'s symphonic organ, and boy, I am impressed. I\'ve heard a demo of this organ using the louder velocities, but today I got to hear the softer notes of the organ, and they are beautimus.

Anyone know where I can get this library the cheapest?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The 16/8/4/ and 8\' pipe samples are very nice. I\'m not sure about the most aggressive price. I have been using that library since it came out, and it\'s very nice for huge reverberant sounds. I don\'t recommend using it with the releases turned down, it doesn\'t ring true that way.

I got my copy from Jacksmusicstore for about $120. Take a look at:
    http://www.jacksmusicstore.com/catalog/computer-music-products/software

I agree the soft 8\' patch and pedal 32\'+16\' do sound very nice. I don\'t care for the louder patches though, and the releases sound unconvincing to me. For some reason I always seem to find it necessary to reduce the release trigger volume and add a bit of artificial reverb instead. G-town\'s organ tutti is much better IMO.

It also depends on what you like to hear. I\'m a church organist, so I like the samples to be as pure as possible to play Bach, Pachelbel etc..

If you want to use the sounds only to create some kind of atmosphere, then you adjust the sounds to your own taste and it doesn\'t have to do much with a real church organ anymore.

I found the Peter Ewers Symphonic organ a bit of a disappointment, not for the sound, but for waht wasn\'t included. For me the tutti is to die for, it\'s amazing to my ears, but a bit expensive at $180. The 32\' adds a nice gravitas to the sound. The only other items are some components of the principal chorus, no strings, flutes or reeds.

I\'ve looked at some other Giga organ libraries, Michiel Post\'s organ toolkit is pretty old and skewed toward Baroque organ styles. I\'d like to try 3D pipes because that seems to me to be an overall representation of one pretty nice instrument. Does anyone have other recommendations?

Michiel have you thought of doing another organ library?

Steve Chandler

Hi,
    Yes we\'re currently preparing a huge organ project. Really to die for sampling project; Paris church organ, +50 ranks of pipes, 24bit/192kHz equipment everything top-notch. I\'ll cover every pipe, every rank of pipes, every meaningfull combination etc.
    It will take us at least another 10 months to finish.
    Michiel

In the mean time I would suggest checking out a program from a friend of mine:
    hauptwerk
    His free organs are really amazing. The program is cheap and plays well over 1.500 stereo voices (!!!) simultaneous on a modern XP PC. He uses RAM only but that is no point with his quality recordings. Listen to his demos on http://hauptwerk.co.uk/audio.html to get a small glimps of what I\'m talking about.
    His user interfcae is amazing efficient and like a real church organ. This is one of the things I found incredibly boring when working in GST, how do you create stops, couplers, swells, vibrato, tremulants...

All my current organ libraries will be translated to his platform. In fact the Post Positif Organ is ready, the others will follow in a short while. Hauptwerk makes it possible to actually play all ranks as in the real situation.

Michiel

All my current organ libraries will be translated to his platform.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Will your new Paris library also be availabe in both formats? (Giga and Hauptwerk)

BTW, Michiel, I play a church organ - in Paris! (Paris, Ontario, Canada that is!)

Lawrence

And what about Church Organs Version 2 of Universal Sound Banks, how are the comments on this sample library?

Church Organs Version 2 of Universal Sound Banks was the first CD sample sound library I ever bought, and I still use it. Considering its age, I think it stands up pretty well (infinitely better than the Post Organ Toolkit IMO). It does not have any release triggers, but it certainly does have variety (what Peter Ewers\' lacks). Two very different types of organs were sampled: a Romantic/symphonic type instrument by Cavaille-Coll (similar to the one Peter Ewers\' uses), and a French Baroque organ. There are about 30 or 40 patches for the Baroque instrument, both single stops and combinations, and about a dozen patches from the Cavaille-Coll organ. The samples have reasonably long loops (two seconds or so) and as many as five notes sampled per octave in some cases. The programming in the Akai version I have (the only format available as far as I know) is somewhat querky, so you need to a lot of tweeking after converting to Giga. For a start, you need to keep the left and right samples (all patches are stereo sampled) separate. Don\'t interleave them, because the loop points don\'t match up. (I could send you my articulation files if you are interested.)

There are a couple of demos using this sound library on my website (see below).

Go Back to forum