• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Maybe I don't need Gold?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Maybe I don\'t need Gold?

Thanks JonP. But I am already using what I have. But for business reasons, I need to buy any enhancements for my sample libraries before the end of the year.

So back to the original question. Would Gold provide a noticeable improvement to what I have now, or should I spend the same amount on something else? For example Silver (nice sounding small grand piano, maybe enough VOTA to use in the few projects that would need it, etc.), Stormdrum, other ideas? Opus 1 is out because with Cubase on a Mac, I can\'t take advantage of the Performance Tool and instruments.

BTW, I mostly compose for network drama and documentary TV promos and episodic TV radio advertising (Hollywood style!) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Do you already own Altiverb?

No I don\'t. Actually that is something I have been considering, but the info I have read on it was a bit over my head. I think I understand the basic concept, but maybe not. I went to the Altiverb site but I couldn\'t tell which price version I would need for Cubase SX with OS-X Panther. Also the processor needs sounded pretty high.

Any more info you might have would be appreciated. A REALLY good reverb might be better than another sample package. Right now I am using Ambience reverb. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Tarkio Road:
    No I don\'t. Actually that is something I have been considering, but the info I have read on it was a bit over my head. I think I understand the basic concept, but maybe not. I went to the Altiverb site but I couldn\'t tell which price version I would need for Cubase SX with OS-X Panther. Also the processor needs sounded pretty high.

Any more info you might have would be appreciated. A REALLY good reverb might be better than another sample package. Right now I am using Ambience reverb. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You should be able to find a current price here :: www.sweetwater.com

and yes, there is a version available for VST OSX. I run the AudioUnits version on 10.3.1 with no problems.

BTW, Altiverb is worth every penny!!! As is EWQLSO !!

SWL

I have to say I\'ve liked what I\'ve heard from altiverb very much. It is very processor intensive but as you already do, you can use this at your \"render at full res time\" and use ambience while composing.

FWIW, if you\'re planning on getting the Gold for the piano and Vota, it seems to me that you would probably be better off just gettting a piano lib and a choir lib instead.

I don\'t see Spectrasonics Symphony of Voices in your library collection. This one is worth every penny.

Good suggestion Owel. I\'ve still have my Peter Siedlaczek Classical Choir, and The Hallelujah World Choirs disks in Akai format from my old hardware days. They still sound pretty good for the few times I need them. Actually, the only choir samples I don\'t have covered are VOTA-style. But I don\'t need them enough to buy the VOTA library. That\'s why I thought Silver might be a good compliment to GPO for faster-large arrangement pieces.

I\'m still fascinated by Altiverb. But after searching these forums and the Cubase SX forums, I am left with more questions than answers. Like...Altiverb works with OS-X VST, but not Cubase SX...the delay compensation will make some rendered tracks in a final mix export out of sync...and i am totally confused whether I can use Altiverb simply as a send effect in SX.

Oh well, thanks for all the advice I have gotten so far. You guys and gals are great.

Maybe a straight up Bombay Sapphire Martini (w/olive) will make my decisions easier! Or is it too early? Nah, It has to be noon somewhere! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Tarkio Road:
    Good suggestion Owel. I\'ve still have my Peter Siedlaczek Classical Choir, and The Hallelujah World Choirs disks in Akai format from my old hardware days. They still sound pretty good for the few times I need them. Actually, the only choir samples I don\'t have covered are VOTA-style. But I don\'t need them enough to buy the VOTA library. That\'s why I thought Silver might be a good compliment to GPO for faster-large arrangement pieces.

I\'m still fascinated by Altiverb. But after searching these forums and the Cubase SX forums, I am left with more questions than answers. Like...Altiverb works with OS-X VST, but not Cubase SX...the delay compensation will make some rendered tracks in a final mix export out of sync...and i am totally confused whether I can use Altiverb simply as a send effect in SX.

Oh well, thanks for all the advice I have gotten so far. You guys and gals are great.

Maybe a straight up Bombay Sapphire Martini (w/olive) will make my decisions easier! Or is it too early? Nah, It has to be noon somewhere! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You are good to go my friend on Altiverb with Cubase SX. Works great and jsut fine as a send.

Don\'t be a tease Lazul! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tell me more. You mean with Panther, a G5, and SX 1.06 I could just buy Altiverb and it would work! You may have just helped me make my decision.

Would Altiverb sound as good as the stage mic ambience that is purported to be in EW Gold?

Thanks for the response!

Tarkio Road,

Crikey! If I had your software I\'d burn mine!!!! That\'s a ton of cool sounds. perhaps you should take the $1000 and go on a vacation, get inspired, and come back and write, write, write. I guess the gear lust thing never goes away!!!!

All the best,

Darren

PS Of course you could always buy me a nice Xmas present!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum