• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My first serious sampling attempt

Share/Bookmark

My first serious sampling attempt

This is my first serious sampling attempt. I recorded myself playing the clarinet, and I tried to make the samples have a true legato sound when played on a keyboard without a \"sucking\" effect between notes. I\'m pretty happy with how it turned out, and I wish I could post it for everyone to download, but it\'s way too huge to upload (27 MB). Here\'s a demo of it: http://www.angelfire.com/film/smadte/ClarinetDemo.mp3

Please, tell me what you think!

Re: My first serious sampling attempt

Hi Greatzed,
    Could not get through to the site, but will keep trying.

While we \"talk amoungst ourselves\" until the technical problem is fixed. May I ask a few questions?

What was your sampling process? You mic-up a clarient and play the scale. What do you record in and what software is involved to convert the analog audio to digital sample to be playable via midi? I do realize everybody else knows these basics, and I apologize.

Thanks,

What was your sampling process? You mic-up a clarient and play the scale. What do you record in and what software is involved to convert the analog audio to digital sample to be playable via midi? I do realize everybody else knows these basics, and I apologize.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I actually recorded into my dad\'s old laptop with one of his nice microphones. The laptop doesn\'t have a soundcard, but it sounded OK, nothing special. I record a basic major scale (not chromatic, yet) into Soundforge, and afterwords I go in and cut each individual note and save them to different files with their note names (Eb, Cb, etc.). Then, I go in and edit each note file individually in soundforge if needed. After that, I go into vienna (soundfont editor), import the samples and map them accross the keyboard. It\'s a very time consuming process, but very fun.

Appreciate the explanation. Can\'t help to think the exercise is helpful in better understanding how to edit/enhance bought samples as well.

Hi G.
    sounds very nice! Congrats! The clarinet has a warm sound. I like the composition, too.
    What are those strings?
    Keep it up! Projects becomming a sample developper?

Thank you! The strings is actually a soundfont I downloaded a long time ago, simply called \"strings\". It does sound really good for being free. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I know I\'ll be making MANY of my own samples (especially since I\'m getting a really nice new system), but I probably won\'t sell any of them.

Greatzed,

I was really impressed with that; including the clarinet. I think you have done amazingly well and I hope that you develop your obvious skills and eventually sell them.

The strings were impressive too. It just goes to prove what I\'ve said before that soundfonts are VERY much underestimated. It\'s the composition and the programming that matter more than the samples. That\'s why GPO, for example, can be totally satisfactory in itself in 1Gb. At a casual listen I wouldn\'t have honestly guessed that this wasn\'t one of the Grand Libraries! That in itself is more than worthy of some credit! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Were there two clarinets in unison sometimes?

I liked the short composition very much....you have a great future my Italian friend!

Frank

PS: One thing I did notice though, and I\'m too embarrassed to mention it unless my set up is wrong, is that your MP3 overloaded my soundcard and caused distortion. I get this with about half the compositions posted on the forum. Is it them or me?

Just to be nosey, how come you\'re called Nigel, have good English and yet live in Italy?

Thanks for your praise! I\'m not sure why you get distortion, I don\'t hear it. Although, when I recorded this in Sound Forge, it showed it was clipping in places, but it SOUNDED just fine. I was kind of confused. Maybe soundcards handle clipping differently? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Actually, I don\'t live in Italy. I live in Washington. Why do you think I live in Italy?

Actually, I don\'t live in Italy. I live in Washington. Why do you think I live in Italy
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hhehehe, your URL; nigel.has.it

That must\'ve made Tob Italian too when he had; g-town.has.it

Ciao. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I decided to upload the file since it only came out to 9 MB when compressed with SFPACK. Here it is: SOUNDFONT PAGE!

First save the file, then change the extension to .sfpack and extract it!

Go Back to forum