• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Running Waters

Share/Bookmark

Running Waters

Finally, my new piece is finished. It's a philosophical kind of program music, a symphonic poem, based on a Czech folk song (Tece Voda Tece). It deals with running water in a river. But to me, there's a lot more. It's a metaphor for life itself. The bed of a river is never obvious, the water searches its way through the hardest rocks and the highest mountains on its way to eternal peace in the endless ocean. Water can never be stopped, it just goes on running to its final destiny...

Instruments:
    • flutes, piccolo, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, horn, harp, glockenspiel: Garritan
    • timpani, bass drum, cymbals, triangle: LSO
    • cornet: VSL Epic Orchestra
    • strings: VSL SE, VI Pro
    • choir: Kontakt5 Vowel choir (KS)
    • Ambience: MIR Pro (staging and IR convolution) and MIRacle Pro (smoothing reverb)

Running Waters

Re: Running Waters

Oh Max:

This is beautiful.
    I did not know where you are going until about 2 minutes. Then this magnificent (can't find a better word) folksong, and the way you worked with it... I had to listen twice, and will do some more tonight, just can not have enough of it.
    Thanks a lot for posting it.

Ted

Gorgeous piece!

Amazing Cornet part starting at ~5:00. Just fantastic.

This reminds me of the Fingal's Cave overture, in how Mendelssohn manged to turn the rhythm of water lapping against the side of a boat and created a musical portrait of the cave's pillars that became a pillar of music history.

This of course piece has a much different rhythm and feel but paints a substantially vivid picture.

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Oh Max:

This is beautiful.
    I did not know where you are going until about 2 minutes. Then this magnificent (can't find a better word) folksong, and the way you worked with it... I had to listen twice, and will do some more tonight, just can not have enough of it.
    Thanks a lot for posting it.

Ted
    Thank you, Ted for your kind words. This is the musical part of it. Now I will concentrate on a series of documentary nature film fragments ti illustrate (accompany) the music. It will be posted shortly.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bendshadler View Post
    Gorgeous piece!

Amazing Cornet part starting at ~5:00. Just fantastic.

This reminds me of the Fingal's Cave overture, in how Mendelssohn manged to turn the rhythm of water lapping against the side of a boat and created a musical portrait of the cave's pillars that became a pillar of music history.

This of course piece has a much different rhythm and feel but paints a substantially vivid picture.
    The picture will become clearer when accompanied by some nature film shoots shortly. And yes, the cornet is fantastic. I had to search for a decent solo trumpet or or net, but this one beats them all, although very limited in articulations.

Thanks for the listen and the comment.

Max

Hi Max.
    At first glance this piece sounds easy, but it deserves more and more listenings to get the heart of the matter, the river of life flowing through our ears in 9 mins.
    I like the cornet episode very much, both statement and rendering.
    And the woodwinds are fine too.
    I see you thought the short phrase of the solo cello to tie things together, but still I wish to ear it singing at a more loose pace — even in the way you see it in the piece.
    The ambience is superb. I must start saving for this MIR weaponry.
    Bravo Max.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

I like how the piece captures the flow of water over different areas from small stream to a wide rushing rapids. The music is full of life, and to me, is well orchestrated and rendered. I found it to be just a darn pleasant listen. Thanks for the post. Jay

Thank you both, Fabio and Jay. It took me quite some time to accomplish the "Waters" and as you all know, it's tough to work with running water and not running all the time to the bathroom. Nevertheless, it's nearly finished. I'm pleased with all remarks and pieces of advice, because there are some little trifles here and there that I would want to see in a better way. Maybe I should give it a rest now and see what comes up.

Thank you.

Max

The Forum is simply overflowing with an incredible burst of gorgeous music! I just got through listening to Ted's sublime "Summer Evening" - And now this wonderful "Running Waters" from you, Max, is continuing an absolutely stunning program in our never-ending "Summer Festival."

Every second of this piece, and it's sparkling, excellent recording, drew me along effortlessly down your metaphoric river. Continuously throughout, I let out an audible gasp at the beauty I was immersed in.

It takes a tremendous amount of work to produce what you have here, Max. I have no doubt that you must feel a wonderful sense of accomplishment and gratification.

Your beautiful arrangement, and the seamless integration of all these different libraries was topped off stunningly with the MIR Pro program. After having read the discussion about it in General Discussion, I'm really glad to now hear an example of its use. It creates fantastic results - And after years of spending an enormous amount of time simply trying to make my recordings sound as good as possible, there is a big appeal indeed in a program that can take over a lot of the laborious engineering chores - I understand the attraction to MIR.

I'm so impressed, Max - Thank you so much for sharing your magnificent piece with us.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    The Forum is simply overflowing with an incredible burst of gorgeous music! I just got through listening to Ted's sublime "Summer Evening" - And now this wonderful "Running Waters" from you, Max, is continuing an absolutely stunning program in our never-ending "Summer Festival."

Every second of this piece, and it's sparkling, excellent recording, drew me along effortlessly down your metaphoric river. Continuously throughout, I let out an audible gasp at the beauty I was immersed in.

It takes a tremendous amount of work to produce what you have here, Max. I have no doubt that you must feel a wonderful sense of accomplishment and gratification.

Your beautiful arrangement, and the seamless integration of all these different libraries was topped off stunningly with the MIR Pro program. After having read the discussion about it in General Discussion, I'm really glad to now hear an example of its use. It creates fantastic results - And after years of spending an enormous amount of time simply trying to make my recordings sound as good as possible, there is a big appeal indeed in a program that can take over a lot of the laborious engineering chores - I understand the attraction to MIR.

I'm so impressed, Max - Thank you so much for sharing your magnificent piece with us.

Randy
    Thank you, Randy for your encouraging words. But believe me, it took an enormous amount of time to master the tricky use of both VI Pro and MIR Pro (not to mention the amount of money) and yet, this is only a tiny proof of its possibilities. There is however another issue concerning Notion and MIR, not retaining the ARIA parameters when closing up the score. And again when bouncing the score to audio (ARIA is always ways too loud and exceeds to overall balance, set properly in Notion). If my hair wasn't already grey, it would be now. Maybe this is a topic for the General Discussion (how come, that Notion sounds well when playing back, but loses its ARIA parameters when exporting to audio?).

Thanks again,

Max

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast