• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: GPO- The new 'GM' Orchestral Standard??

Share/Bookmark

GPO- The new \'GM\' Orchestral Standard??

I have just realised that this is a very likely consequence of what Gary Garritan has done. He has produced a piece of software at a price which almost everyone can afford.... complete with player. The ramifications of this are potentially quite enormous.

The fact that he\'s clearly unindated [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] points to the fact that GPO is already selling in large numbers. I can foresee a GPO club type atmosphere developing and perhaps a dedicated forum.

I mentioned in a post recently that the achilles heel of MIDI files is that you have to tweak them if you change instruments, change the AHDSR or even change to a different sample. This was the idea behind General MIDI, but even the instrumental variations included in the modules made by different manufacturers ensured that this didn\'t work perfectly.

A huge advantage of everyone working with GPO (and who isn’t going to have it) would be that I could post a MIDI file, for example, and someone else would hear the piece EXACTLY the same as me if the programme was set to its default settings. OK, you will actually need a Kompakt player file to retain ambience/ filter settings etc. To me this is like the Holy Girl!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] for orchestral music. It might assist with collaborative projects and education. I mean, put your file up to Northern Sounds and let others tweak it and return their file. Listen to the difference…go to the key editors and see what has changed…etc…etc This was never going to happen with the ‘Grand’ ($1000 plus) libraries.

This promises to be very valuable and a great step forward. That\'s why Gary has been able to promise (I think, unprecedentedly) MIDI files on his website. Someone has clearly put a lot of thought into the planning of the whole venture and where it is likely to lead.

Really, GPO can be seen as the new Orchestral General MIDI. A \'Word\' of a word processor. Being the first, and being a very competent effort, makes GPO likely to become the VHS rather than the betamax…. from the point of view of having a standard.

I foresee great things….and a lot of pleasure and fun too.

Frank

Re: GPO- The new \'GM\' Orchestral Standard??

Actually, having the classics presented as midi files that can be loaded into GPO would be a great way to learn orchestration too. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Imagine being able to solo one section or instrument to hear how it interacts with the composition!

Sounds good to me.

except that the other major orchestral sample manufacturers have already come out with competing products at similar price points, and it remains to be seen which will be most popular.

Also, part of the point of the General MIDI standard is that it isn\'t owned by any one company or private interest. Its an agreed, objective standard for all companies to adhere to. \"Standards\" created by one company\'s market dominance are not quite the same thing. And as can be seen with the recent anti-trust action against Microsoft, they are often held to be a bad thing.

I agree that standards are useful, but don\'t go jumping the gun trying to decide the future before it happens.

Yes, calling it a standard is a bit exagerrated, but something along these lines would surely be useful for students (and Mr. Garritan mentioned this in the \"features\" section).
    I like the idea of a club or a forum dedicated for swapping GPO MIDIs. Very useful for studying orchestration and sequencing techniques.

And as for the competing products, so far there\'s only Silver, and it doesn\'t have the amount of detail in the orchestration/notation department (multiple solo instruments).
    Disclaimer: To prevent being jumped on (which will probably happen anyway) let me say that Silver IS a good sample library. It\'s simply different from GPO. I feel sorry for people who still weren\'t able to figure this out.

I think standards are the best thing and the worst thing...unfortunately.

The best thing about Word being an international standard (as Wormpurfect was before!! nothing lasts forever...watch out Microsoft!) is that it IS a standard and everyone can use it and everyone can exchange files. The weakness is that often, with some types of software, you have to be at the same revision for interchange as they are not forward compatible.

The worst thing about Word being a standard is that they have become a monopoly and charge what they like. (A hobby horse of mine is that the competing office suites haven\'t the benefit of Microsoft\'s market and economies of scale, yet their products are a fraction of the price...that makes me sick and they\'ve got the audacity to moan about piracy. Heh but that\'s another story.)

On balance, although it tends to hold back the pace of technological advances, standards are certainly a good thing. Some would argue that it is also a good thing that the pace of technical advances ARE held back. We don\'t want standards anarchy now, do we?

Closer to home, Akai was the first sampling standard, then Giga next Kontakt??

The VHS vs betamax was an oft-quoted case where the technically inferior product (the VHS) won the war because it was the first and it was cheap and it did the job. The Sony betamax and later the Philips 2000 system were technically superior but the video rental shops didn’t carry them for long as they had to concentrate on one standard. As soon as people can see which way it’s going they join the throng and create a fait accompli. BLah! Blah! (Backsheep have you any wool?)

I’m not convinced that the competition’s offerings were as carefully planned with this big picture in mind. Is there any mention of MIDI files on the other sites? I mean, I shall probably buy Yi-Ho Silver (one for the older guys!) myself but the interchange of files will likely be between GPO. We can only guess but it’s looking that way to me.

As soon as you introduce other non-GPO sounds you’re knackered unless your collaborator also has them and then you’re in a big mess with settings etc. This lack of a standard has been a damned nuisance with MIDI in general and, as Scott points out yet another advantage, the possibilities are as big as your imagination. I can see it now \'The Scott Cairns GPO MIDI classics\' I bet Gary\'s at it now...you better hurry! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Even if GPO does do what I think it will it won’t be forever as there will always be a new upstart around the corner (just as Gary was!) It\'ll probably see me away though! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Frank

Hi Frank,

Good topic. Despite some past fringe discussions on the subject, we’ve yet to completely realize, articulate, and document what not only GPO has done, but what all the “affordable” samples have or will do to the creation and marketing of music. The fact that anybody can produce high quality productions - (we assume basic music and technical skills) changes absolutely everything.
    Then add the internet to the picture. There are a few new websites springing up that market your music to producers who simply don\'t have the need for the megabuck known composers anymore. Music buyers will do a search on type/genre of music they need for their project - listen to the sample MP3 and bingo - No name Randy Riff Raff from Owensboro kentucky just sold his music.

P.S. No offense to Owensboro, I use to live there and it was very nice.

Here, here. Joanne.
    You hit it on the nose.

The more the market floods with workers, the less a position is in desperate need to be filled. Hence, lower wages. Look at what happened with the college boom. At one time, a college education was a guarantee to a higher salary. Now your lucky to find a job in your major, or make descent money at it.

>What does a physicist with a degree say?

>\"Would you like fries with that?\"

Don\'t laugh to hard. A physicist friend of mine told me that joke, and was serious. He moved from Germany, just to get a job.

Almost all markets are very competitive.

I am still going to buy and support GPO.
    I can\'t complain about a great product.

The sample world is changing. For the better. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But, I am still going to buy and support GPO.
    I can\'t complain about a great product.

The sample world is changing. For the better. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Very Good joke \'88\'. Frighteningly near the truth too!

Joanne, From what you say about living there, it would seem as if Owensboro is a \'must visit\' the next time I go to the USA?

Frank

Dear Mr. Nut, [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I was searching for an analogy to sweeping transformations we are about to encounter - college education is a good one.

Go Back to forum