• Register
  • Help

Topic: So What - Miles Davis

Share/Bookmark

So What - Miles Davis

This is the Miles Davis Track "So What". Part JABB and part Sample Modelling for the trumpet and saxophones, drums are from samples I've collected over the years. The trumpet solo is one played by Miles on You Tube put through Cubase variaudio to convert it to midi, then tweaked. The saxophone solos are based on Coleman Hawkins and Cannonball Adderley not converted but done by ear.

I've been coaxed to put this up here by Randy, so come on have a go too !!

https://www.box.com/s/9k0w6yte35lckdb3xx8k
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Re: So What - Miles Davis

Excellent work on this Derek! I recognized the sound of the sample modelling library. There saxes and trumpets (I particularly like their flugelhorn) are quite realistic sounding. The percussion had a nice relaxed sound to it, not forced or anything like that. The solo's came off quite well also. Did you use the jabb bass on this? I am glad Randy coaxed you into posting this. I hope you have more jazz tunes to post because it comes off as being very effective. Loved it. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    This is the Miles Davis Track "So What"...
    There ya go - Thanks for posting this where people can find it, Derek. It's fabulous work and deserves a huge audience. Much better than hiding it on that other thread!

Randy

Wow...really nicely done. I am not very sophisticated in the world of sampling. When you say you the solo is one that Miles played on youtube does that mean that you captured the entire solo and somehow synced it to the rest of the project?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMc View Post
    Wow...really nicely done. I am not very sophisticated in the world of sampling. When you say you the solo is one that Miles played on youtube does that mean that you captured the entire solo and somehow synced it to the rest of the project?
    I'm sure Derek will be back to say more about the project, but I wanted to point out that in his original post, Derek said, "...The trumpet solo is one played by Miles on You Tube put through Cubase variaudio to convert it to midi, then tweaked..." In other words, he used an app to make a MIDI file from the audio, then tweaked it, and then that MIDI file drove the virtual instrument. Slick hmmm?

Randy

In case any one wants to know how it was done - I didn't set out to copy the original, just to do a version of my own. I started o put together the introduction but couldn't get the solo to work. The chords here are all fourth's like A,D,G - no thirds so things are slightly different.

I looked on youtube to see if there was a version there that gave me some ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqNTltOGh5c

I recorded the solo part. as it is so old the quality is poor and that helps because you want the solo not the backing.

Cubase has a sample editor with a routine that converts samples into a sort of piano roll display. It is meant to be used to correct mis-timing or wrong notes. The blocks on the piano roll indicate the notes and these can be moved up an down to change the pitch and back and forth to change the position. Other alterations to the pitch can also be made, like adding or removing vibrato.

Once you are set up here you can convert the piano roll display to midi and play back using any sound you like. I may have altered the speed to suit as well. It was really just something to do on a rainy Sunday.

I have conveniently removed two solos where I play the guitar with the trumpet in a duet, I wouldn't inflict that on any one, but it was great fun to do and is a bit like karaoke.

I seem to have given up writing my own stuff now and just enjoy arranging other peoples work.
    Derek
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    ...Cubase has a sample editor with a routine that converts samples into a sort of piano roll display. It is meant to be used to correct mis-timing or wrong notes...you can convert the piano roll display to midi and play back using any sound you like...
    Cool! Thanks for the details, Derek - The first app you're talking about is audio pitch correction. They have a vertical row of notes and horizontal display of the audio clip, something like a piano roll view, as you said. Used most often for vocals, of course, but pitch correction can be applied to any audio signal. I've used it a few times when there's a sample in an instrument's sample pool which is out of tune - I fix the pitch after the MIDI has been bounced to audio.

Now you inspire me to do some more experimenting with Sonar's V-Vocal audio correction tool which I've used a lot - There's a menu item to make a MIDI version of the edited audio file, just as you're talking about, but I've never tried it. Will be fun.

Thanks!

Randy

Great sound overall. Excellent cover! The only niggle I have is the piano is too distant in the mix. Or the trumpet is too close - take your pick. Need to gel them together more.

Great performance though, love the trumpet work. Also sounds like there's two pianos, is that intentional? The melody notes of the piano sound separate to the chords.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hi Derek,

A very realistic piece to enjoy, even for a jazz illiterate like myself. Very lovely trumpet solo and perfect balance.

Thanks for sharing,

Max

Plowking

Also sounds like there's two pianos, is that intentional? The melody notes of the piano sound separate to the chords.
    Well spotted. Fraid this wasn't a serious piece. I played the left hand part, so to speak, to begin with, then added the solos rather than replay that section. It really two separate bits, those pesky fourths again, they don't come naturally to me so the right hand was played very slowly over a slowed down rhythm, some notes were drawn in rather than being played.

D
    Derek

Go Back to forum