• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Weird instruments...............?

Share/Bookmark

Weird instruments...............?

Speaking of weird-er instruments, any of you know of any?

I don\'t necessarily care if they are recorded like crap, I suppose? I just need some stuff that isn\'t so typical.

Re: Weird instruments...............?

When speaking of weird nstruments...bagpipe is veryWeird instrument to me [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Hey Kid, depends on what you mean by weird I guess.

Quantum Leap Rare Instruments has some er, rare instruments on the disc. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hi Kidsurf,

There\'s davie on the cubase forum who \"specializes\" in weird instruments (and the resulting weird music). Possibly try sending him an email (scarecro@tfwo.org) for some links/patches. If I remember correctly, he actually likes to sample \"strange things\".

Good Luck,

Ethno World 2 seems to have some \"weird\" ethnic stuff on it. But maybe this is not what you mean?

I think you need to define \"weird\" a little more [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Ed

Oh sorry, I thought weird was self explanatory. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] \"Weird\" as in \"hey man, that sounds weird\". Does that help? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

But I mean, just anything really, instruments that we don\'t consider typical orchestral instruments. I guess I\'m thinking mostly of percussive type instruments, but not exclusively. But then again maybe there is some piano or something that\'s been recorded to sound strange.

But then again if I knew what I was looking for I wouldn\'t be asking. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

So weird can mean whatever you think it means. Anything I haven\'t heard is worth checking out.

But thanks for the tips all, and yes I like Rare instruments. Thanks Scott.

Hi Joanne, thanks for the link, I\'ll look into it, sounds interesting... I mean \"weird\" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Kid,

Try http://www.oddmusic.com/ . Don\'t know if they have samples, but if you follow some of the links you may find some.

-- Martin

Don\'t forget the Waterphone on the G-town site. Very wierd and very cool.

Steve

This won\'t help at all.....but.....there\'s an instrument that I can\'t remember the name of that\'s basically a set of long metallic ribbons that attach at either end to these giant glass tubes. You use a bow to play the metallic ribbons like a violin and it makes the scariest tones you\'ve ever heard ( but it\'s still musical) it. If you PM me your email I\'ll send you some mp3\'s.

There\'s always the theramin too. gad I hate that thing!It always reminds me of really bad sci-fi movies.

For years I lived down the road to the brilliant Horniman Museum in Dulwich, London . To this day I\'ve yet to come across such a large exhibition of wacky instruments alongside some absolute originals and classics. Any sampling enthusiast or musical historian will salivate around their gear. Euphoniums customized with 7 bells and extra valves to play chords, weird and wonderful percussion instruments and on and on....

If you haven\'t been, go and visit if you\'re ever in town. Take your dat and best mic and persuade them to let you loose. I\'d love a major developer to go and build a library from what they have there.

Go Back to forum