• Register
  • Help

Topic: why samlping cd don't go sown in price with time?

Share/Bookmark

why samlping cd don\'t go sown in price with time?

i\'m surprised to notice that sampling cd (akai, giga, etc), don\'t go down in price while time is passing.
    for example, advanced orchestra and vitous: with the coming of VSL, garritan, EWQL, etc... these two library don\'t go down in price, even if they are 6 or more years old.
    this happens to all the \"old\" akai samples cds. why thay are not resold as \"budget\" cd, now that with the same amount of money of a one-akai-cd which contains pads or bass you can buy athmosphere, trilogy or similar VI, better than akai cds?

another issue to consider is that one is not permitted (in theory) to sell samlping cd (but have a look at ebay and you will find a lot of them)

is there a logical explanation for this marketing choice?

PS: this is not mean to be a flame!!

Re: why samlping cd don\'t go sown in price with time?

Hi,

Some of these titles actually have come down in price. It\'s just that they are, at this point, IMHO overpriced now. Adv Orch used to sell for about $900 or $1000 for the whole set. It is on sale at Soundsonline (in their Dec. sale section) for about $500 and change. Miroslav is still expensive but not as much as it once was. Both of these sets still have some useful sounds on them. Considering the other choices available now, I would not bother even at the current prices unless there is something that you really need from them that you can\'t get anywhere else.

IMHO, if you bought both GPO and EWQLSO Silver, you would have a great set of orchestral sounds for a little bit more than the price of Adv. Orch on sale, plus you\'d have a few other things not found in AO (like piano, organ, choir). From there, you could get other sounds in the future to improve some of the deficiencies that will be in either of the two sets.

In regards to the \"budget\" pricing there are many but you will find that these are sample CD\'s which have slowed sales (or never took off). They are usually low in price because either they are so old that they sound dated or they are just not popular.

The other thing that you can do is sign up to be on email lists for the major sampleware manufacturers. You\'ll be informed about sales at various times. That\'s when I typically buy my sample libraries. Sometimes you can get great deals on sets. Older ones obviously will be cleared out at lower prices (at times 75-90% off!) while newer sets can be had sometimes for (30-50% off).

Yes, you can buy those CD\'s on E-Bay but you may still have trouble proving that you are a legitimately licenced user. First off, if you\'ve bought from most of the main manufacturers, they keep records as to who has bought what from them. If you\'re not on their list, you\'ll need a receipt from a retailer. The original CD will not necessarily prove that you originally bought the CD (which is how the licence agreement reads).

I\'m not telling you what you should do here. This is just the way it is from a legal standpoint (at least the way I understand it).

HTH,
    FV

Originally posted by bosone:
    i\'m surprised to notice that sampling cd (akai, giga, etc), don\'t go down in price while time is passing.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Go to www.soundsonline.com - we just reduced the price of over 400 products by 3070%.

To view the list, go to the www.soundsonline.com home page and look for the link \"December Sale!!\" in the \"Sample CDs\" section.

Happy Holidays!!

Wow.
    Just browsing through these discounted sample libraries at soundsonline.com.
    This is amazing.
    Bruce, is there no demo for the Xsample vol. 12 Clarinet, Bassetthorn, Bass Clarinet?
    The demo link plays the strings vol. 5,10, and 11. Actually the \'Play Demo\' button doesn\'t work and the \'mp3 demo\' button downloads and plays the strings volumes.

I\'m probably gonna order the Xsample Vol. 10-12 giga set but I would like to hear those reeded instruments before I ordered.
    Thanks!

Bob

Originally posted by Bob Wolski:
    Wow.
    Just browsing through these discounted sample libraries at soundsonline.com.
    This is amazing.
    Bruce, is there no demo for the Xsample vol. 12 Clarinet, Bassetthorn, Bass Clarinet?
    The demo link plays the strings vol. 5,10, and 11. Actually the \'Play Demo\' button doesn\'t work and the \'mp3 demo\' button downloads and plays the strings volumes.

I\'m probably gonna order the Xsample Vol. 10-12 giga set but I would like to hear those reeded instruments before I ordered.
    Thanks!

Bob
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Just beware of X-Sample.

I bought the Brass one and it was totally unusable since they looped all the life out of the samples. I hear the non-sustained stuff sounds great, but I will never buy any of their sustained instruments becuase of how they butchered the Brass.

Ed

DOUG,

can you tell me if ALL of Scoring Tools is availible for download? Its just that I wound rather download the sounds I need when I need it.

Cheers!

Ed

Sorry, it\'s OT, but xsample clarinets are just great! Go to their site with Google and listen to the demo. Ok, the brass is very bad, but they have a lot of very good stuff, like harp, solo strings, vibraphone, celesta, just don\'t get the brass :-D

Originally posted by Ed:
    DOUG,

can you tell me if ALL of Scoring Tools is availible for download? Its just that I wound rather download the sounds I need when I need it.

Cheers!

Ed
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ed,

I don\'t remember if all of the sounds were put up as individual files and it\'s not easy to check. Even if they were, they would be .wav files, and 3 times the cost of the reduced price Giga version. If you are interested in this title, I would suggest getting the CD-ROM - even with the shipping cost added, it\'s still much cheaper.

- Doug

Go Back to forum