• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: VSL

Share/Bookmark

Re: VSL

I agree with your thoughts. We have had some rather big debates about the actual power of the library and I for one think the VSL-demos sound \"clean\", but totally dead aswell. But for some reason Furst, we are rather alone on our crusade. Most people - it seems - are pretty fond of the VSL library due to its size and \"supposed\" ability to make runs, etc. through the performance library. Nobody really knows yet, but the biggest problem so far is the \"dead\" sound in the library. Maybe its due to the \"silent/dead room\" in which the library was recorded. Maybe its due to lack of power in the demos. Maybe its due to something we dont know yet. I am sure the library have stronger sides then what we have seen. But personally - I will put my bugs (and I dare to say that - even though I havent heard anything but words) on the EWQLSO. Nick is one the best (Godrows with Spectrum and Doug) and most gifted soundwizards and I rest assure on that. In addition I love his political oppinions and they also help me entrusting him - for some weird reason. That being said - I once again must ASK for more information on these subjects. VSL makers should post mp3-demos or videos - where they actually describes how the library works. Creating small passages with a voice-over-speaker - describing whats happening. In addition I think there is a NASTY non-vibrato problem to most of the demos. It seems there is none. Just straight tunes... Sometimes things can be too clean. Maybe thats the case? No life? Just tunes? AND - no natural ambiences - which hurts me badly.

Love - Chris

Many people seem to be missing the logic in the VSL developers\' decision to mic relatively close in a dry room. The reason has to do with the performance samples.
    If you listen to the legato demos, there\'s quite a bit of detail. I don\'t think the legato tool would work if the samples were miced in a large hall. And to have legato samples miced close, and all others miced in a hall would of course make the library useless.
    It\'s basically a trade-off. Do you want the instruments to sound as real as possible? Or would you rather have semi-realistic instruments in a very real space?
    Peronally I\'d rather have a very realistic orchestra in a completely dry room than a less realistic one in a good room.
    Also, I don\'t think they expect you to use the library straight. You obvoiusly need to add your own ambience.

Anthony Lombardi
    www.mp3.com/alombardi

I think most people are aware of the distinction between VSL (dry) and QLSO (dry/wet). What we want is the CHOICE. Natural ambience is superb for some instances and thats the reason why many new libraries seem to focus on these. Ofcourse there is the \"noise floor\" consideration to be aware of. But taking for granted that a library like QLSO sounds superb and is intelligent designed - I dont see why we should only go for a dry recorded library. Makes no sense to me. Natural ambience is WAY beyound what any manmade reverbs can do today. You dont believe? Read Nick and Spectrums postings around here or even Bruces (who is a sceptic on the issue) beautyful description of how sound works in a philosophical relation to water. Natural ambience gives a distinct colour to the sound - some like it - some dont. There is also the \"playability\" aspect to be aware of. With a natural ambienced recorded lib. you dont have to think about applying dif. reverbs to dif. sounds. Its just there - and if you want some instruments dry - you just pick them. I dream about QLSO. (Drip, drip).

Love - Chris

I\'m astonished at some of these negative comments. To say that VSL is a throwback to AO or Denny Jaeger is just NUTS.

As I\'ve previously reported, I\'ve done test sequences using the strings in a 3 and 4-part counterpoint exercise I wrote, recorded into Cubase, Samplitude and Logic for sonic comparisons. I wrote a quick French horn solo that was recorded into Cubase SX and Samplitude.

The library sounds great! It\'s alive. And it sounds the best in Samplitude 7.0 (as does GOS, BTW). I did ensembles with VLS 1, 2, VLAs, CEllos; VLAs, CELLOS; VLAS, CELLOS, BASSES; etc. It all worked.

I\'ve tried out all the brass, woodwinds, harp, and some timpani. It sounds authentic. It\'s big, and alive.

It\'s so good, I\'m now doing a film short using VSL almost exclusively for the whole work. I\'m only adding voices and a few effects, otherwise it\'s all VSL.

For effects, again, I\'m using the TC Works PowerCore and couldn\'t be more pleased with the results.

it\'s \"the size does matter\" and \"you can use it every which way\" (does that sound right? cuz my mind has slipped elsewhere [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) that attracts me. closing the gap between real and fake. most of the demos sounded good to me, none of them left me disgusted though, I heard a lot of possiblities. I don\'t think mp3\'s is the best way to judge sound quality. QLSO has made a decent case as a contender, and there\'s no demos yet! my only question with QLSO is the transition from one note to the next note, will it still sound real or fake without the added reverb hiding it. It\'s way too early for me to decide on either. I like QLSO\'s price, or I could get the incomplete set from VSL for the same and wait a couple years to complete it. I\'ll let all you guinea pigs buy both sets to help before I truly decide.

Aaron Dirk
    NGS West

Originally posted by peter269:
    [QB]
    The library sounds great! It\'s alive. And it sounds the best in Samplitude 7.0 (as does GOS, BTW). I did ensembles with VLS 1, 2, VLAs, CEllos; VLAs, CELLOS; VLAS, CELLOS, BASSES; etc. It all worked.

I\'ve tried out all the brass, woodwinds, harp, and some timpani. It sounds authentic. It\'s big, and alive.

It\'s so good, I\'m now doing a film short using VSL almost exclusively for the whole work. I\'m only adding voices and a few effects, otherwise it\'s all VSL.

[QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Please, post some demos! I\'ve listened all Vienna\'s demos and I\'m still waiting my demo cube.

And this goes to others too [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Best
    Tabbu

soon Tabbu,

I\'ll be doing a specific VSL demo or two jsut for NS.

I\'ve stopped defending this library to people who call it \"lifeless\" since it just isn\'t. In fact I feel this lbrary can coax more \"life\" out of a performance than other libraries. I do believe there could be some better demos in some cases for people who like \"film music\". The AirForce One demo was a bit rushed last I heard.

I do think that the guys callign the library lifeless are looking for \"ambience\". I dont ever think that this library will work without use of reverbs and EQs (I dont think any orchestral library does, but thats my own opinion). Its a \"clean\" sounding library and I dont think people are used to that. No ambience, but \"air\", none or littel reflection data making the sounds sound a bit \"sterile\". I do admit to that in the tone on their own. However I dont think the playing or the samples are lifeless. I in fact think the samples work great for people who \"shape\" reverbs or use good impulses.

Anyhow,

I\'m NOT going to do any full mockups of hollywood scores. But i will do parts of some. First off will be a cue or two from LotR, which I think the lib can sound like very easily. Maybe I\'ll redo the Bugs life Thing I did with DDBE.

Lastly I\'ll state it again. I dont think one library will please everyone. Its not jsut a diplomatic point, its the freaking truth. VSL promises updating their sample set with new recordings and tools. Yes these are just \"words\", but they are somethign to consider when thinking of purchasing the library.

Now, I too am waiting for QLSO. In fact its goign to be added to my library of samples, and I\'m excited to get my hands on it. I think it will be an outstanding library, but it would be entirely ignorant to say one is better than the other since they are focusing entirely on two different approaches. I think this will only be realized by someone that uses both libraries. I will gladly retract this statement if I change my mind when QLSO is released.

Hmmmmm... Point taken King. Well spoken...

Love - Chris

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Lewis:
    I think most people are aware of the distinction between VSL (dry) and QLSO (dry/wet). What we want is the CHOICE. Natural ambience is superb for some instances and thats the reason why many new libraries seem to focus on these. Ofcourse there is the \"noise floor\" consideration to be aware of. But taking for granted that a library like QLSO sounds superb and is intelligent designed - I dont see why we should only go for a dry recorded library. Makes no sense to me. Natural ambience is WAY beyound what any manmade reverbs can do today. You dont believe? Read Nick and Spectrums postings around here or even Bruces (who is a sceptic on the issue) beautyful description of how sound works in a philosophical relation to water. Natural ambience gives a distinct colour to the sound - some like it - some dont. There is also the \"playability\" aspect to be aware of. With a natural ambienced recorded lib. you dont have to think about applying dif. reverbs to dif. sounds. Its just there - and if you want some instruments dry - you just pick them. I dream about QLSO. (Drip, drip).

Love - Chris
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Chris, you have choice. You don\'t have to buy VSL, or any library. I don\'t understand the negativity. You can\'t wait to jump onto any VSL thread, and voice the same opinion over and over again.

What is up with that? Why don\'t you rejoice in the fact that there IS choice? It\'s fantastic that people are exploring different, high end approaches to sampling.

Go Back to forum