• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The Dirac Sea - Live!

Share/Bookmark

The Dirac Sea - Live!

Hello all,

This past March, I posted my Dirac Sea (computer version) which was to be played by the Solaris Wind Quintet this Spring. I now have a recording of the music and thought I'd post the LIVE version here for those who like to compare live versus 'memorex'.

The Instrumentation is the normal Woodwind Quintet: Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, French Horn and Bassoon.

Soon there will be a youtube address available to see the Solaris Wind Quintet play the entire Composer Guild Concert for that day.

Here are the Live recordings for each of the movements:

I. Turmoil

II. Calm

III. Dark Energy

IV. Ripples

These were performed March 17, 2013 at Baldwin Wallace University in Berea, Ohio

Best Regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: The Dirac Sea - Live!

Bill,

EXCELLENT!! No matter how good samples get, the real deal always blows them out of the ballpark. Real professional players who know all the intricacies and nuances of their instruments give "life" to their sound....you just can't beat it.

Did you record this? The recording is superb. Each instrument is heard very clearly, with just the right ambience.

The pieces are a lot of fun. You do such a great job on giving each instrument the right line to play and keeping all the players active. Having played in many quartets, septets, octets, etc. it is no fun if you only play a few notes every minute or so.

Much enjoyed!

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post

Did you record this? The recording is superb. Each instrument is heard very clearly, with just the right ambience.

Cass
    Hi Cass,

Thanks. Yes, Live is always better. This was recorded by a professional with high quality mikes in a wondrous hall called Kulas Hall at Baldwin Wallace University. The players are professors at the University of Akron (though 4 of the 5 retired this year - Akron's loss!)

As soon as I get the permission to post, I will post the youtube recording of this concert.

Thanks for listening, it was a fun piece to compose!

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Bill,

I listened to the entire composition when it was a sampled version. I remember its qualities and rich inventiveness, expression and creativity.

This exceeds all these qualities because it has a soul, the 'living touch' of fine and skilled musicians. It's a demanding piece, so your ensemble must consist of very decent performers. Even with the broad tessiture, the intonation stays hypercorrect. Congrats to the musicians!

It is very difficult to realise the expression of thoughts and musical inventions in a small ensemble, but you managed to do so brilliantly!

I'm so glad you got it played by such wonderful musicians.

To me, the ambience is a little too tiny (recorded in a small room?), there are many early reflections and it feels somewhat 'narrow', but of course, that doesn't change the musical qualities in the least!

I hope for you, that the Dirac Sea will live many good performances!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Bill,

I listened to the entire composition when it was a sampled version. I remember its qualities and rich inventiveness, expression and creativity.

This exceeds all these qualities because it has a soul, the 'living touch' of fine and skilled musicians. It's a demanding piece, so your ensemble must consist of very decent performers. Even with the broad tessiture, the intonation stays hypercorrect. Congrats to the musicians!

It is very difficult to realise the expression of thoughts and musical inventions in a small ensemble, but you managed to do so brilliantly!

I'm so glad you got it played by such wonderful musicians.

To me, the ambience is a little too tiny (recorded in a small room?), there are many early reflections and it feels somewhat 'narrow', but of course, that doesn't change the musical qualities in the least!

I hope for you, that the Dirac Sea will live many good performances!

Max

Max,

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, they are marvelous musicians. I live in a part of Ohio where there are many good universities and musicians.

The room was a remade sanctuary made into concert hall. It is a tall room and narrow. The engineer basically took what the microphones gave him. He did no engineering on the sound at all. So what you hear is what the room provided.

It was quite an exciting concert. All the pieces were anonymously-selected from submissions from our guild. Was was interesting to note that, though written for the same instrumentation, how different they were. When I am given permission from the guild, I will post the YouTube link to the performance. The video is of a poor quality (amateur), but it does show the live performance.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Bill,
    I already appreciated Dirac Sea at the time you posted it as a virtual realization of the score.
    I wish to congratulate with you for this superb live performance: excellent soloists walking along
    the path a fine composer has drawn for them.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Bill,
    I already appreciated Dirac Sea at the time you posted it as a virtual realization of the score.
    I wish to congratulate with you for this superb live performance: excellent soloists walking along
    the path a fine composer has drawn for them.
    Thank you Fabio, it was a fun journey!

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

AH there's the concert you were hoping to post - Great! I've really been looking forward to this, Bill.

Wonderful, bristling, nerve-jangling, and so expertly performed. Big congratulations to you and all concerned, Bill. We don't have a music scene analogous to what you have there in your area - Original music performed? Hardly ever happens here. Bravo to Ohio for helping keep Art alive!

It is indeed a small room - That extremely intimate sound reminded me of the sound on earlier TV shows and films, where the bands were crammed in small studios and no post-processing was done to artificially enhance the sound. Picture your "Turmoil" as the sound track to a "Twilight Zone" or "Outer Limits" episode - Both the sound of the recording, and your composition would fit very nicely.

It's just so great to hear music performed live that we've heard previously in the virtual instrument versions. Let's be sure that comparisons between the two things don't make us disparage our MIDI tools - Those are what they are, and at least originally weren't intended to replace musicians. I know everyone here at the Forum is grateful to have our software music tools, and some of us also have the privilege of having our music performed live.

Sure glad you were able to post this - Thanks, Bill.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    It is indeed a small room - That extremely intimate sound reminded me of the sound on earlier TV shows and films, where the bands were crammed in small studios and no post-processing was done to artificially enhance the sound.
    Randy
    I am wondering, Randy, is it possible (only because I never thought of it) to take the wave file from the CD and master it in SONAR like I master a MIDI File?

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    I am wondering, Randy, is it possible (only because I never thought of it) to take the wave file from the CD and master it in SONAR like I master a MIDI File?

Bill
    You bet, Bill - Sonar can import audio from a CD, automatically converting it to a .wav file so you could work with it. Click Import--and choose the CD import option. A lot of people only use Sonar for audio work, doing live sessions with it in studios. I'm guessing you want to try adding a larger room reverb on the file. You would just want to be careful, since there's already all that natural room ambiance on it. Would be fun to tinker with it though!

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast