• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: living easy

Share/Bookmark

living easy

This song uses jabb horns and flute. It also uses realguitar and trillian bass. It has a couple of flaws that I could not fix because I lost some audio tracks when my computer recently crashed but I think it is still worth a listen anyway. Jay
    ps. my site might be having temporary problems, so hopefully you will be able to avoid any issues.

www.jesse.us.com/living_easy.mp3

Re: living easy

Since you have replied to some of my (de)compositions, you know that I am not relating to jazz. However, this piece I enjoyed, I loved what you have done with the flute, brilliant variations. I also enjoy the sound, it is full, the harmonies are inventive and very much fitting the mood of the piece.
    Maybe you will make me a jazz fan?
    Thanks for posting it.

Ted

Thanks for the listen Ted! I will keep trying to make you a jazz fan. I think the jabb flute is the best instrument in the library. It is easy to work with and has a great sound to it. Jay

Hi Jay

Lovely smooth jazz and a firm nice bass line! I'm not particularly fond of the 'jazzy' flute, it sounds to artificial and more like the old midi flutes. But for the rest, a very good composition, fine solos.

Max

Thanks Max! The flute does not have any reverb on it, even though the rest of the project does. This was not intentional and it does subtract from the flute sound and the whole piece. I also had some synchronization problems on this. No matter what I tried, SONAR would not let me clear it up. I also had a computer crash very recently and lost the audio tracks for this. I just got tired of screwing around with this song and decided to post it with the above mentioned flaws. Anyway, I appreciate the listen that you gave this. Jay

Kate and I perked up when I saw your new thread, Jay, and I told her I'd be playing some good, smooth jazz this morning--Aaaaah, it's that special Jay The Jazzman magic.

But this is horrible news that you had a computer crash and loss of data! Dang!--- Are the synchronization problems in Sonar related to that, or prior? Sounds like that was happening earlier - I've never heard of something like that happening, maybe you can say more about that? I can't imagine.

I'm glad you explained about the flute - It was a surprise when it came in naked and dry like that, and I just earmarked a technical note to pass on, but then saw that you explain that it was a struggle to put this piece back together, and somehow you ended up needing to be stuck with a totally dry flute. Too bad - The lack of reverb is the total reason Max didn't care for its sound. A characteristic of early MIDI was a lack of reverb, adding greatly to the artificial sound. This is a good lesson/reminder that even when used sparingly, at least a touch of reverb is Essential, otherwise there's no way to have anything but an artificial sound. I understand no reverb wasn't your choice, I'm just pointing out how on this recording we can hear the dramatic difference reverb or lack of it can make.

This is a thread about over coming major obstacles - A testament to your determination! -- I'm so sorry to hear about your major computer problems, but sure admire the way you plowed ahead and did a mix of this tasty piece.

Randy

Thanks for listening Randy! The sync problem on this was very weird. Even in the midi track, sections would be in sync and then go out and then come back again. It absolutely made no sense. I had to use the SONAR slide to adjust portions of each track just to get them relatively close to being in sync. Since I lost some data from my computer crash, I had no audio tracks to work with so I could not just add reverb to the flute. The only way to fix this tune was to start over from the notation and rebuild everything. I just got so sick of this thing that I said SCREW IT! I suppose it is possible that some kind of virus crept into file somehow, but I don't know that for sure. I hope this problem does not repeat itself in upcoming pieces. Anyway, thanks for commenting. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Thanks for listening Randy! The sync problem on this was very weird. Even in the midi track, sections would be

in sync and then go out and then come back again. It absolutely made no sense. I had to use the SONAR slide to adjust portions of each

track just to get them relatively close to being in sync. Since I lost some data from my computer crash, I had no audio tracks to work

with so I could not just add reverb to the flute. The only way to fix this tune was to start over from the notation and rebuild

everything. I just got so sick of this thing that I said SCREW IT! I suppose it is possible that some kind of virus crept into file

somehow, but I don't know that for sure. I hope this problem does not repeat itself in upcoming pieces. Anyway, thanks for commenting.

Jay
    Thanks for the reply, Jay. You know me - I'm always curious about what's gone wonky when people experience technical difficulty. And once in awhile I actually come up with a helpful suggestion - not always though!

Hmmm, it sounds like during your reconstruction process, you ended up with a different tempo than you had in the original. The default in Sonar is 120 BPM. Maybe you didn't change that as you started putting things back together, and whatever tempo you used didn't match the setting you were originally working with - Something of that sort.

I don't know all the details of exactly what you had to do to put this back together, and it would be far too complicated to explain it all, but, unless I'm misunderstanding, there actually was a way to add reverb to the flute. You don't have to have audio tracks in Sonar before using reverb. You just strap a reverb unit to the FX Bin of the audio track coming from ARIA - or you set up a reverb bus and use the Send knob on that audio track, the same as you do from a bounced track. See?

My impression is that you're not going to have these kinds of difficulties again - That there wasn't a virus in the file, and that your computer crash was unrelated. In any case - You're picking up the pieces and plowing on. Good for you!

Randy

Hey Randy! I could get reverb on the flute, but when I open up the file in sonar, all the tracks are wacky again and I would have go thru manually adjusting each track again before I even put some reverb on the instrument. I will probably delete the sonar project file and keep the notation file. If I ever get the time and interest again, I will rebuild the whole thing. Thanks for your further comments. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Hey Randy! I could get reverb on the flute, but when I open up the file in sonar, all the tracks are wacky again and I would have go thru manually adjusting each track again before I even put some reverb on the instrument. I will probably delete the sonar project file and keep the notation file. If I ever get the time and interest again, I will rebuild the whole thing. Thanks for your further comments. Jay
    Right, I understand this has been a long, drawn out headache, and the prospect of doing yet more with it isn't exactly appealing. There are just some mismatches going on between the original files and those in the new Sonar template - The tempo is different and/or there's a bit depth mismatch which makes data play back at different rates. I'm not at all clear on how you were trying to rescue this, how you have the flute still in MIDI apparently, but with other tracks that have reverb - BUT it'd be a nightmare to try explaining it all. Leave it for now, for sure. - But really I don't think you need to worry about future projects. Some settings were just not the same when you tried to reconstruct things.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast