• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ?Good headphone for orchestral stuff...

Share/Bookmark

?Good headphone for orchestral stuff...

I\'m going to buy a monitor headphone. I usually deal with orchestral stuff. But now, I still don\'t have any ideas in my mind. Could anyone suggest one for me? Thanks in advance. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: ?Good headphone for orchestral stuff...

Here are some headphones recommended:

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002699#000000

But keep in mind most people won\'t mix orchestral with headphones (only), more do with sutio monitors.

Hansi

Originally posted by PolarBear:

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002699#00 0000

But keep in mind most people won\'t mix orchestral with headphones (only), more do with sutio monitors.

Hansi
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I agree with Hansi. Be sure your room is at least \'tuned OK\' - spend your time and moula here. Having said that, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro\'s that \'give me another\' look at the mix. Hope this helps.

Rob

Originally posted by PolarBear:

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002699#00 0000

Hansi
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">aah, interesting.. i just orderd a pair of sennheiser HD600 D my old HD540 is falling appart, hehe

I use the Sennheiser HD-600s which are incredible and particularly good for orchestral listening. Hansi\'s right though, you will want studio monitors for mixing. One advantage headphones _do_ have over monitors though is that its very easy to hear ambience properly. With monitors unless you\'re in a very good room then the ambience will be coloured by the ambience of the room you\'re in.

You may also want to get a good headphone amp like the Grace 901 or Headroom Max Headphone amp to work with your HD600s. This system would cost as much as a pair of active Genelec or Dynaudio nearfields though!

Dennis

ah, but do remember .....

-headphones will cause greater fatigue to your ears.

- they are good to give another \'brief\' perspect of a mix .... they usually have a better dynamic range than monitors (unless you use a subwoofer ).... also useful to check eq\'ing, and how instruments are setting together.

BUT ... do not use headphones to judge imaging. They are binaural not stereo!

Tune your room and the \'room ambience\' that Hasen mentioned, will never be an issue.

I only use mine for late night composing .... the wife and kid demand it these days. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

passacaglia

I\'ve always used sennheiser headphones for both trivial listening and mix monitoring. I have a pair of hd545\'s, hd580\'s and hd600\'s. They are all great headphones. In my opinion nothing else comes close, and they are so darn comfortable! The hd600\'s are very suited for mixing as they do not make your ears suffer from fatique, even if you work for hours and hours. A side effect of this is the reduced high frequency response. For a brighter and more sparkling sound, a pair of hd545\'s should do the trick.

Thomas

You should check out the Sony MDR7509s. I\'ve been using these for a few months now, and can highly recommend them.

details here.

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    I\'ve always used sennheiser headphones for both trivial listening and mix monitoring. I have a pair of hd545\'s, hd580\'s and hd600\'s. They are all great headphones. In my opinion nothing else comes close, and they are so darn comfortable! The hd600\'s are very suited for mixing as they do not make your ears suffer from fatique, even if you work for hours and hours. A side effect of this is the reduced high frequency response. For a brighter and more sparkling sound, a pair of hd545\'s should do the trick.

Thomas
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m glad you said that Thomas as the Sennheiser HD-600s are what I\'ve been using for mixing. My statement about needing studio monitors to mix was just what I\'d heard \'experts\' say. I\'ve been meaning to get good studio monitors for a while now but they\'re just so damn expensive! But then what isn\'t when you\'re a composer? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum