• Register
  • Help

Topic: Assigning Channels to staves on Finale

Share/Bookmark

Question Assigning Channels to staves on Finale

Hi, I'm currently using GPO4 on Finale 2010. I'm trying to get multiple instruments of the same family to play on one stave. Is this possible? For instance, can you assign from the ARIA GPO4 samples Violin 1: players 1, 2, 3 all to a single stave - Violin 1, for a more diverse sound instead of selecting the basic "string ensemble" sample? If its possible, how do you do it? Any help would be great!

Re: Assigning Channels to staves on Finale

Yep. Go to the MIDI/Audio Unit Setup (something like that... Finale 2012 has a different name for it) and open the instance of ARIA Player where you have your violin samples. Set all of them to the same channel number.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by dharmapaws View Post
    Hi, I'm currently using GPO4 on Finale 2010. I'm trying to get multiple instruments of the same family to play on one stave. Is this possible? For instance, can you assign from the ARIA GPO4 samples Violin 1: players 1, 2, 3 all to a single stave - Violin 1, for a more diverse sound instead of selecting the basic "string ensemble" sample? If its possible, how do you do it? Any help would be great!
    You're not going to achieve a more diverse sound using this method. The concept behind building an ensemble from individual players is that each part (staff) will be slightly different from the others. The subtle nuances of one player playing forte at one level, the others playing it at a different level. Attacking the notes differently, etc....

This can be done in Finale. Assign each player to a different staff/midi channel. Duplicate the notation from the source staff to the others. Then use the midi tool to tweak each staff differently. Change the velocity, duration, where the notes stop & start, use the Randomize tool. This is very time consuming in Finale, but can be done. Plus the individual players don't have all of the articulations that the complete sections have.

IMO, you'll get better results from using the complete sections, and really learning how to use them. Put in A LOT of midi information commands in Finale, much more than you would ever give to a live player.

Go Back to forum