• Register
  • Help

Topic: Who has received VSL's Overdrive, and comments?

Share/Bookmark

Who has received VSL\'s Overdrive, and comments?

Hello. I ordered Overdrive last week, and should have it this Wednesday. Just wondering what users impressions are with it so far. I was very impressed with the demos. It still has that sampled sound, but for what it is, and the price, I think it is a real winner. What do YOU think? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks

Re: Who has received VSL\'s Overdrive, and comments?

Noone has it yet? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] OK, well I should receive it today, so I will post my opinions about it\'s tone and playability by the weekend.

I\'ve had it for a week or so - but not had the opportunity to use it in a project yet so only scratched the surface.

One thing - you need to upgrade the vsl performance tool to the new one (beta which came out on Friday) otherwise the legato patches don\'t work properly.

Ian

hi, sharmy!
    one question: what do you think about music akin to korn and linkin park? is it possible to achieve this sound? do they have really deep guitars sampled?
    thanks, harry

Sharmy,
    I\'m a former guitar player and long-time Steve Vai and Joe Satriani fan who could never find enough practice time to develop their technique. This sounds perfect for me! I can\'t wait to get it. I have a trasncript of the guitar duel from Crossroads and may try to do a mock-up of that.

Chuckle. I can actually play the slide parts myself. The classical stuff that Martone plays at the end could be quite a challenge, though.

Hi Sharmy. Yeah, the library is pretty specific with regards to it\'s sound and what it can pull off. But considering how many types of guitars there are in the world, I think the VSL team made the right decision to just go all out and make a very extensive overdriven guitar. I think it will please people who are after something heavy.

There are not too many heavy electric guitar libraries out there (that I know of). I think they made this library to fill a major gap, that I and many other sample library users have been longing for. I\'m quite pleased with what they have delivered. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I never considered that, but it would make sense, given their strong intent in making great orchestral sounds. I\'ll be mixing this in with GPO when it arrives, so I\'ll hear how well the guitars sound works into the orchestra.

Go Back to forum