• Register
  • Help

Topic: Carole King: In Performance at The White House

Share/Bookmark

Carole King: In Performance at The White House

The incomparable Carole King is the first woman to be given The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize. There was an amazingly good concert with a superb band, excellent guest spots including James Taylor and Gloria Estefan, and King herself giving as power-packed a performance as you're likely to see from anyone.

If pop music has any importance in your life and you haven't seen this, you're in for a rare and wonderful treat:

Carole King live at The White House

Randy

Re: Carole King: In Performance at The White House

Randy,

Thanks for posting this video. It's a lot of fun to listen to Carole King's hit songs sung by all these seasoned pop stars.

So many great tunes came out of the Brill building and also the songwriters there that became recording artists themselves.

I can still remember first hearing The Loco-Motion in the hall of my junior high school hall during lunch break.

Phil

Dang, they don't let you see it in Canada!

Ted

It is appropriate she was given a Gershwin prize. She may be to the brill building what Gershwin was to Tin Pan Alley before he started writing musicals. I must confess I went ahead in the video to hear I Feel The Earth Move. Thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMc View Post
    It is appropriate she was given a Gershwin prize...
    Right on, Richard - Billy Joel points out to the audience that Carole indeed emerged from the Tin Pan Alley world of songwriting. She was/is amazing. It's so refreshing to re-visit an era when pop-songs were melodic and actually Songs.

But gee whiz---Hope you went back to see the whole video. Since you're a King fan, I can guarantee it would be the best 50 minutes you could spend this month, in two, three months--maybe the whole year! She sings at the top of the show, all of the guest performers are excellent, the band is jaw droppingly great, and there's the bonus of seeing our cool President and First Lady smiling and grooving to the tunes.

Randy

Go Back to forum