• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Favourite Christmas Music

Favourite Christmas Music

Only a few weeks left now so I\'m already getting into the spirit. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I wondered what everyone\'s favourite Christmas music was? Let\'s exclude songs or anything with words in out of the debate so I\'m talking purely instrumental and particularly orchestral stuff. My personal favourite piece is \'Plaza Hotel And Duncan\'s Toy Store\' from Home Alone 2 by John Williams. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Favourite Christmas Music

A Charlie Brown Christmas - Vince Guaraldi

All the Narada Christmas albums... David Lanz, Eric Tingstad, Nancy Rumbel, David Arkenstone, etc...

George Winston\'s December CD/LP is good too.

There\'s sometimes interesting stuff on those Windham Hill Christmas albums. In particular I remember liking Michael Manring\'s version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.

Christmas music. Every year my grade school would gather for the school Christmas pageant in the auditorium and sing “The First Noel”. What was special about the performance was toward the end of the song, the sixth graders were always directed to do this wonderful simple harmony as they sang Noel with the rest of the school. Even as a kindergartner, I loved any kind of harmony. Add to that an actual “live” performance, and the literal highpoint of my grade school years were when the school sang the First Noel with the sixth graders every year doing the “the neat singing thing”.

Entering the sixth grade to the normal child means a rite of passage to junior high, achieving graduation, and senior status. To me it meant only one thing – the chance to sing the harmony part on The First Noel. So after Seven Long Years, there I finally was, a sixth grader, and it was time for the school Christmas pageant. You guessed it….no sixth grade First Noel harmony part that year. No explanation why. No nothing. I think some harried teacher simply, “forgot”. I remember not saying anything. Just suffered and sulked in silence. I think it was my first real disappointment in life. And Christmas music was never the same.

Writing about this for the first time 40 years later– why in the world didn’t I join the school choir? I played the violin in the orchestra, but we always sounded so bad, and it wasn’t a pleasant experience. I should have been in the school choir instead.

And this concludes our “Journey to Self Discovery” for this evening. Thank you and good night to all. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Definitely Vince Guaraldi\'s \"Charlie Brown Christmas\" score. I\'m also a big fan of Tchaikovski\'s Nutcracker and Handel\'s Messiah. I have a real nostalgic attachement to what my parents played in our house when I was a kid, epecially Bing Crosby, Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, and Sing Along with Mitch Miller.

I like the old religious Christmas music better than the newer stuff, which is mostly about Santa Claus, reindeer etc..

I really like The Nutcracker stuff, for instrumental music.

I know you said to exclude stuff with words in it, but this is just so sublime. Have a listen to \'The Spotless Rose\' by Herbert Howells. Three minutes of heaven.

Otherwise I\'d throw in my lot with the Home Alone soundtrack.

The Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky is for sure a classic, and good ole Johan Sebastians Oratorio..

Great suggestions guys - keep \'em coming. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I don\'t think I\'ve ever heard the Charlie Brown Christmas score...

Go Back to forum