• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Morning Mists for solo piano

Share/Bookmark

Morning Mists for solo piano

Hello my friends! This is the third track for my current project - an album of relaxation music. This one is solo piano. Hope you enjoy.

Piano: Garritan Steinway, under-the-lid perspective. On-board reverb was used (modified Parlor setting). I also used a little EQ to warm the sound up, and increased the setting on sympathetic resonance to give it a bit more fullness.

Listen or download here: https://www.box.com/s/83v88nfija6payxguk1q

Best wishes to all
    Owen

Re: Morning Mists for solo piano

Wonderful, Owen - Thanks much for letting us hear more of this great project of yours. This is warm, soothing, gentle, just as you intended.

The reverb sounds fine - You do know, though, that ARIA now has a convolution reverb in it which sounds great, and is easier to get good results from. - I think you're using the original Steinway interface, in which case the convo wouldn't be available, but if you ever want to open up the piano in ARIA, it works the same in that.

Really nice - Thanks, my friend.

Randy

Super track. Gentle, and melancholy. When I write for piano I tend to lean towards this style of piece, slower, measured, so it's great to hear a piece like this from someone else.

Piano sounds good, a little subdued (I found it's just the tone from the GAS), but that suits this piece to a tee.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

This is a very nice piece. The form works well for the relaxation you are going for, though it might be a little bare near the end for my taste. And I am certainly relaxed...now I have to get myself back in gear to carry on with the rest of the day. This is going to be a nice project when completed.

Hi Owen,

Your misty theme is indeed quite relaxing. It shows grate craftsmanship and an excellent harmonic structure. It is definitely a piece to insert in a present day piano concert (they are in many cases pretty hectic). The enriched chords always end in comforting perfect classical chords and that reinforces the good feeling, starting from the first note.

Simply wonderful! Congratulations.

Max

Can't say anything else; it is beautiful. Thanks.

Ted

Wow, guys! I wasn't expecting that reaction. I didn't think it was THAT good! Thank you all for your vote of confidence.

Randy:
    My ARIA doesn't have that. I guess I must be running an outdated version. I will investigate. Actually, I do have a free convolution reverb plug-in I usually use, called SIR1
    http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.php but I don't know how the quality of that would compare with what you are describing. On this occasion, I decided to just keep it simple and use the native reverb to see how it would turn out.

Plowking: Thanks for your comments. I agree about the tone from the GAS. I am using all low velocity values to keep the sound mellow, then using Normalize to increase the volume. GAS can do sharper, but you have to bash the keys some. Glad it works for you.

RichardMc: Thanks for the helpful feedback. I don't normally write quite so thinly either, and was about to do something about it, when I noticed that the thinning out had the effect of taking me down gently towards a more sleepy state. I played it for my wife and she didn't get to the end before she was asleep, so I guess it works! Just so long as people don't stay awake with critic's pen poised at the ready.

Max: High praise indeed for what I thought was a pretty basic form and harmonic structure! I guess sometimes simple is good, heh? Wow, that would be nice to have it performed in a concert! Maybe they should follow with Haydn's surprise symphony to wake everyone back up.

Ted: My goodness, I can't believe everyone's enthusiasm! Thanks so much for the kind words.

"Morning Mists" was also the title of one of the very first pieces I wrote, a little piano piece I wrote in High School. Sadly, it just wasn't very good and was one of the first casualties of my periodic purges.

Your piece is quite lovely, though. I'd be very interested to hear how it fits in with the rest of your relaxation album. (Best of luck with that project. I hope to hear more of it.)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    ...My ARIA doesn't have that. I guess I must be running an outdated version. I will investigate. Actually, I do have a free convolution reverb plug-in I usually use, called SIR1 http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.php but I don't know how the quality of that would compare with what you are describing. On this occasion, I decided to just keep it simple and use the native reverb to see how it would turn out...

Thanks for the replies, Owen - OH My, yes, your ARIA is a veritable antique! At Make Music, you can get the current ARIA on the download page. The sampler has been much improved since your version. Once you have that, Convolution will be native as well as the Garritan Ambience you're used to. Both are in there, and you always have the choice of which one to use.

SIR is great! I've had that for years. There's nothing wrong with it, works great - Quality of convo reverb is all about the quality of the impulse responses, not the engine running them. That free, version 1 of SIR may be mono only?--not sure about that - But it's amazing how long ago that came out, with a sophisticated EQ and a really good GUI.

Anyway - If you're not registered at MM yet, you'll want to do that so you have access to everything in your account, and you get the new ARIA player.

Randy

Dan: That's funny that it brought back that memory for you. I'm sure that there are many pieces with this title! What can I say, I'm not that inventive when it comes to titles.

I am intrigued by your comment "I'd be very interested to hear how it fits in with the rest of your relaxation album". Does this imply that it doesn't seem to go with the relaxation theme? (If you want to hear other tracks for the album, I am keeping them together here: https://www.box.com/s/trprrnbtqc7szdotrbsv There's one track in there that doesn't belong - not sure how it ended up in that folder.)

Randy: Thanks for helping me out. I am pleased to say that I now have a shiny new Aria player! My, I really was out of the loop, wasn't I!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast