• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: New work in progress - no title

Share/Bookmark

New work in progress - no title

This is the last thing I'll post for a while as I can see a few of my threads floating about. I think the earlier I post this the better.

Similar to when I posted by WIP of Beyond the Stars which garnered great feedback, I'm working on another John Williams style piece.

Light Adventure

I'm still working on minor aspects of the melody and structure for the little I've done so far, but the orchestration has been getting a lot of attention here. I've been listening to a lot of JW tracks for reference points on the orchestration. This is MIDI output, not audio. When I finish the piece some balancing and mastering will be done as normal.

Usual suspects when I do a big orchestration are
    Cinebrass
    Cinewinds
    Cinematic Strings 2
    East West (percussion)
    Garritan AS (Piano - pulled this out of retirement as it's light and fluffy - plays along well with the orchestra) It's in there as texture, usually doubling the harp. For the last 4 bars the piano is playing a tremolo all the way through those bars)
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: New work in progress - no title

Well done. I like the effects , especially the flute line (ala John Williams). Since I am one of the worst mixers on this board, I'll make no comment about the mix other than I liked it! Compositionally, the melody is strong in nature, but not in volume. I would like to hear it with more 'presence'.

As to the lack of posts, I have found many listen, few remark.

If you a marvelous way with making strong musical impressions - always strong in the gaming market!

Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Wow! (That is how you spell it?)
    What a sound! Superb orchestration! Played it three times.
    Great!

Thanks for posting

Ted

Cheers - I'm still working on the melody, up a note, down a note, reharmonize as well. Not sold on it yet. By lack of posts I mean no music posts from me, but shall be commenting away when I'm not on my iPad, can't listen properly on the mobile devices.

There's no real mixing here yet as that will come later - and help bring out and clear up the lines a bit. You can waste a lot of time trying to adjust mod-wheel and velocity data for a mix when in audio form it can be done so easily. The flute runs are very easy to pull off, 7 16ths in place of 8 is very common in JW orchestrations. Other things from this to note are the constant movement, the use of percussion to accent rather than rhythm, and the use of the brass and woods for a strong rhythm.

The strings are mainly vlns 1+2 octaves, violas unison with vlns 2, cellos+violas octaves, bassess popping in and out quite frequently, play a bar, stop, play two bars, stop again...
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Once you are done with this, it will be another marvelous "PLOWKING" orchestration. I really like where it is going. I sure hope you get around to posting it when you have it the way that you want it. It sounds great so far. Boy, you are bursting with musical energy lately. Jay

Thanks, Jay.

I'll attempt to post updates as it progresses.

My musical energy of late as put it, comes partly from some exciting news I've not yet mentioned.

This coming Saturday, June 15th, the North Carolina Philharmonic orchestra will premiere my piece 'Beyond the Stars'! I seriously can't wait. I won't be there, but will be able to grab a recording afterwards.

I also orchestrated and arranged 3 James Bond songs into a medley for a singer at the same concert. I've literally no idea how that will turn out as I did the whole thing in finale and have no mock up save a terrible MIDI plink plonk version which masks everything. I didn't have time for a proper mock up of it as it went to the wire. The songs are Nobody Does it Better, Goldfinger and Skyfall. Exciting times for me. Not every day an orchestra approaches you and wants your music!
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

That is absolutely fantastic Graham! What a shame that you cannot be there to experience it first hand. I am sure that it will come of just great. Jay

Congrats on having your work performed. That is quite an accomplishment!

Fun piece as well! It will be interesting to see how it develops.

My only observation is that at ~46-47 sec there is are two short repeated flute runs over a cymbal crash that makes the transition feel abit glitchy to me.

Great news! I can't imagine what a thrill that must be to have your work performed. Listening to the WIP you posted you really have this genre nailed it seems. The orchestration is spot on. I look forward to hearing the entire piece.

Hi, Graham! This is a great thread, for several reasons, first of which being the twinkling homage to John Williams that you're working on. Wonderful to hear one of these luscious pieces as a work-in-progress. I was playing it on the big speakers for my wife to hear, but I forgot to warn her it's only a minute long. "What happened?!"-she cried, disappointed that there wasn't more. You have another fan!

I've pulled out several quotes from this thread to respond to:

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    This is the last thing I'll post for a while as I can see a few of my threads floating about.
    Ah, I wouldn't worry about posting new things so close together. The Listening Room has slowed considerably from that burst of activity we experienced a year ago, so I say, the more the merrier!

Garritan AS (Piano - pulled this out of retirement as it's light and fluffy - plays along well with the orchestra) It's in there as texture, usually doubling the harp. For the last 4 bars the piano is playing a tremolo all the way through those bars)
    I had to think for a moment what "Garritan AS" could be - Authorized Steinway, got it. In what way is it "light and fluffy"--? Not in size, being a large Library that took something like 6 DVDs to contain. The sound is light and fluffy? Interesting descriptor. Is that layered in at the very opening, helping with the percussive crispness we hear?

...You can waste a lot of time trying to adjust mod-wheel and velocity data for a mix when in audio form it can be done so easily.
    Yes! You know how I feel the "secret" to getting the best recordings is to work in both the MIDI and the audio realm. One can do a reasonable amount of "MIDI performing" with the lines of a piece, but there's a great deal of dynamic detail which, as you say, is so much easier to do with audio, and I'll add that I feel the results are usually more successful.
    ...The flute runs are very easy to pull off, 7 16ths in place of 8 is very common in JW orchestrations...
    What a great tip! Reminds me of years ago when I was working with orchestration by Rupert Holmes, and noticed his use of odd numbered runs connecting measures - There would be groups of 5, 7, 9, and that was new to me at the time. It seemed odd, but sure sounded great. He would notate that simply with the first and last notes of a run and a gliss line with a number on top of it.

...This coming Saturday, June 15th, the North Carolina Philharmonic orchestra will premiere my piece 'Beyond the Stars'! I seriously can't wait. I won't be there, but will be able to grab a recording afterwards...
    Simply wonderful news! Oh I hope you do get the recording and that you share it with us here!

I also orchestrated and arranged 3 James Bond songs into a medley for a singer at the same concert..."Nobody Does it Better," "Goldfinger," and "Skyfall"...
    !! I think I have the right event here--

"Cinema Serenade"

--on June 15th with music from "Star Wars," "Jurassic Park," "Narnia" etc- It's mind-boggling to think of what all the royalties would add up to! They must have gotten some very special deal, perhaps since it's a free concert? Music business is impossible to figure out - I wanted to orchestrate a copyrighted song once, and was told I would have to pay $1,000 to the publisher before I could even submit the work! Hence my astonishment that you orchestrated three copyrighted numbers for this concert. Obviously the organization in North Carolina handled it all, probably getting royalties waived somehow, but do you know anything about how the business side of all this was handled, Graham?

Anyway - Wonderful thread, thanks for it, and congratulations, Graham!

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast