• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone tried this Blüthner piano Giga instrument?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone tried this Blüthner piano Giga instrument?

It was available as a soundfont originally. I can\'t tell from the ad if the Giga version uses longer samples or not. About a hundred megs, though:

http://www.genevoice.com/SoundLib/Exclusive/bluthner.htm

For that matter, has anyone played a Blüthner piano? What kind of tone would one expect? Say, if the Fazolli is at one metallic extreme and a Steinway is at the other, where would the Blüthner be? (Please don\'t say in Germany.)

Re: Anyone tried this Blüthner piano Giga instrument?

Paul McCartney played a Bluthner in \'Let It Be\'.

At $45 it\'s a no brainer. It costs more to tune a piano! I owned one about 15 years ago and it was very nice warm tone. 4 Strings per note in the treble instead of 3.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    It was available as a soundfont originally. I can\'t tell from the ad if the Giga version uses longer samples or not. About a hundred megs, though
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not at that size. About the minimum you\'ll see for a Giga-native piano is closer to the 1 GB mark.

Yep, surely just a soundfont that\'s been converted. Still, they might have gone back to the original samples and now have full decay, at least. When I find out more, I\'ll post the information.

Four strings instead of three? That sounds interesting.

I e-mailed the company and learned:

No pedal-down samples, no release samples.(The Giga version is essentially a soundfont converted to Giga.)

HOWEVER, it sounds like a good soundfont: in the soundfont\\giga file there are 160 samples. The piano is chromatically sampled. Each sample is 8-15 seconds long. The closed loop starts at the end of the samples and lasts 3-5 seconds. (So we\'re getting into the realm of the good Kurtzweil\\Akai sounds here.)

They also offer to render any midi file you send them.

These sound like good people. They are in Russia and their English is not always wonderful. Much better than my Russian. My impression is that they are new to Giga. They hadn\'t heard of the Northern Sounds site. Nice people to be encouraged. (Nice people with a good piano.)

In other words: May I ask that many people get in touch with them? If not to order, at least to encourage? They seem to want to do good work and charge very little for their sample sets. I\'ll be buying their piano because the rendering they very quickly sent me sounds good. I hope other people will encourage their venture into the Giga world.

Go Back to forum