• Register
  • Help

Topic: (Late) evening concert: Satie, Rachmaninov, Vaughan Williams, McDowell

Share/Bookmark

(Late) evening concert: Satie, Rachmaninov, Vaughan Williams, McDowell

After mentioning Satie's Gymnopédies in another thread, I decided to pull out the sheet music and play it. I present this for your enjoyment as well as three other works that I posted here several years ago. With this concert, you get to pick and choose with of the items on the program you want to hear! So here it is:

(1) Trois Gymopédies (Erik Satie). Performed by Owen Heritage.
    https://www.box.com/s/ot19nvh8ea8mlkqi0u9l

(2) Piano Concerto #2 (Rachmaninov) - just the first 2 minutes of the slow movement - sorry! Hope you enjoy it anyway. Performed by the Garritan Symphony Orchestra conducted by Owen Heritage. Piano soloist: Owen Heritage. All orchestral instruments played by Owen Heritage. https://www.box.com/shared/9tlth4z5gz

(3) To a Wild Rose (Edward McDowell). Performed by Owen Heritage. https://www.box.com/shared/bexz9kxvqx

(4) Six Studies on English Folk Songs (Vaughan Williams). English Horn: Owen Heritage. Piano: Owen Heritage. https://www.box.com/shared/uke0035an1

(Just to clarify: All the performers listed above are actually completely different people. They all come from a country that names all its musicians Owen Heritage. I have yet to figure out why.)

Re: (Late) evening concert: Satie, Rachmaninov, Vaughan Williams, McDowell

Only time for list to the Rach 2 piece - a great performance and sound - sorry it had to end abruptly. The Rach 3 gets all the PR but I prefer the Rach 2 by quite a way.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

I find that RVW is so evocative of the English countryside - If you know think Cotswolds, Malvern, Herefordshire, Mendips, Quantocks, Open landscapes, escarpments, the greenway, old drove roads. Lovely stuff.

I imagine that Owen Heritage the horn player must have been a blacksmith with lungs like bellows to play from 05:40 to 06:20 without a breath

I've been working on my own version of Rachmaninov 2 - all of it - for over two years now - in winter evenings mostly.

D.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Hi, Owen! - I always get a flutter of anxioiusness when I see a thread has numerous pieces all posted together on one thread, because usually there's just no way for me to halt everything to listen to so much music in one sitting during the day - and I'm not online so much at night.

Well, so that was the case today - SO much music, and I'm glad to see so much from you, but know that listenership will be reduced because of how overwhelming the post looks.

IN any case - I clicked the first track, the Satie. "Blood, Sweat and Tears" immediately lept to mind - In case anyone here is too young to know, the great 1968 album from that group began with part of this Satie piece. That record is what brought Satie into the orbits of young America back then. I certainly hadn't heard of Satie before that Jazz Fusion album which was such a major explosion of a hit.

And all these years later, I still have that record's version of Gymnopédie No. 1 in my head. So I was surprised to hear how much slower your rendition is. It sounded, well, Too slow to me, painful. So I looked up information on the piece online and see that Satie gave instructions to play it "painfully"--. wow. OK - I kept listening, and grew accustomed to the much more grave sound in your recording, and it quickly grew on me.

That's the trip I went on from your post - Thanks for the memories, and the lovely recording.

And now, to bookmark this thread so I can come back to hear more!

Randy

Plowking: Glad you liked. Perhaps one day I will get to do more of the Rach. I may have to cheat a bit though with some of the piano part!

Buckshead: Thanks for the chuckle! I remember now noticing that when I did it a few years back. Guess I left it like that thinking nobody would notice. But I do find myself unconsciously holding my breath during that passage! Wow, that's quite a project you've got there. Hope we'll get to hear it some day, or even a part to see how it's going.

Randy: Thanks for the advice on avoiding multiple works in one post. Actually, it's the first time I have done so. I guess I felt bad about making a new thread for each old piece that I've posted before. Anyway, I will keep it in mind for the future.

Glad you enjoyed my painful performance! I have always played it that kind of speed, and I have heard quite a few performances that do the same. Perhaps it is a case of some people enjoying hearing a flowing melodic line, and others, like me, savoring the harmonies.

OH, my dear Owen - I didn't mean to make you either self conscious or defensive about your thread. Please post in whatever way you want. This thread of yours Is a treasure trove of music, after all. It was just the first thing that struck me - how threads with multiple links may possibly be overlooked sometime. Passed on just as a thought.

And the tempo of the Satie - I really enjoyed your performance, that's the important thing. I didn't pull out the old Blood, Sweat and Tears album to make a comparison or anything. As far as I know, my memory of the tempo they used could be wrong, maybe it's only a very few BPMs different if any at all. It doesn't matter. It's a gently melancholic piece, and you did it more than justice.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    OH, my dear Owen - I didn't mean to make you either self conscious or defensive about your thread. Please post in whatever way you want. This thread of yours Is a treasure trove of music, after all. It was just the first thing that struck me - how threads with multiple links may possibly be overlooked sometime. Passed on just as a thought.

And the tempo of the Satie - I really enjoyed your performance, that's the important thing. I didn't pull out the old Blood, Sweat and Tears album to make a comparison or anything. As far as I know, my memory of the tempo they used could be wrong, maybe it's only a very few BPMs different if any at all. It doesn't matter. It's a gently melancholic piece, and you did it more than justice.

Randy
    Don't worry, Randy, I didn't take your post with any kind of negativity. Gratefully received as some good advice about how best to present things in the forum, and an interesting perspective on a performance. All good!

Hi Owen,

I'm still applauding the Owen Heritages ... talented musicians one and all!

I've been away for a while and this was so nice to come home to; really beautiful, evocative music sensitively performed. I'm a sucker for the Gymnopedies so it caught my eye i
    mmediately. I listened to all your selections (except the Williams piece; only the 1st two studies so far) and plan to download them for an upcoming road trip. Thanks for sharing these.

As far as the multiple selection postings that Randy mentioned, I agree with him that it becomes overwhelming to listen to that much music in a single sitting ... however, I noticed you did offer for us to "pick and choose". I also noticed that the 2nd and 3rd pieces where both under two minutes, so I comfortably made it through the first three selections .

I mention this only because I just did the same thing with an overture from a show I just did! I too added a couple of 'bonus tracks' (excerpts of the entr'acte and bows music) and I pondered the exact same thing: Add to the main post, or create a new one? Since they were relatively short excerpts, I too opted to consolidate.

Anyway, lovely music Owen!

Regards,

Frank

Thanks, Frank, for your comments and weighing in on the whole multiple-music-per-thread issue. Glad you enjoyed, and be safe on your road trip! Lots of crazy drivers out there. If you are interested in any more of my current tracks, there are a couple more here, in case there is anything you might want to add to your playlist! https://www.box.com/s/trprrnbtqc7szdotrbsv

Go Back to forum