• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best drums for jazz?

Best drums for jazz?

Hi, all!

I have drumkit from hell that I use for most of my stuff, but I would really like a sampled drumkit for softer jazz music as well. Perhaps some brushes too, but I\'m looking for that nice Pat Metheny Band drum sound (may not be realistic though..). The sound on \"speaking of now\" really blows me away, not just the drums, really a great album! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (Pat uses REAL players though, not samples [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

What do you think?

Re: Best drums for jazz?

I just bought the Session Brush Kit giga file from http://www.sonicimplants.com. Played it last night for the first time, and it will do the job for me. I haven\'t listened closely to the Metheney drum sound for some time, so I\'m not sure if this fits your need. SBK is $23.95 US as a download.

Now, if only I can get the hang of playing jazz drums on the keyboard. I can do a straight-ahead rock thing, but once I go with a looser jazz feel, things get so loose that the bolts fall off.

The one that we are going to release 1:st January....
    [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] -50\'s Gretch kit with white heads and matching cymbals
    -Sticks, Brushes and mallets
    -A LOT of velocities
    -Many special hits and stuff normally missed on \"normal\" sample CD\'s.
    -Three different perspectives, close, ambient and distant

Why don\'t you take a look at Drumkit From Hell 2. they have a jazz set, cocktail set, and of course more heavy metal/rock. It comes out i think in February if you can wait that long.

Those Erskine Drums sound great IMHO..I don\'t own them but would like to one day..

Puurfect Drums is another to consider..Brushes, Drums and kits..

Alan Russell

Yea, I second the recommendation for Peter Erskins \"Living Drums\". It\'s at least 8 years old, but still holds up, especially for the jazz thing.

I\'m not sure if it\'s available in a specific format (I only own the audio CD), but there are at least 6 velocity points for all the drums and cymbals (from his \"first call\" jazz kit) and in many cases even more than that. Also, each velocity is represented by a left stick sample and a right stick sample (L/R ppp, L/R pp, L/R mf, etc...)

No I don\'t work for the company that produced it, I just really like this CD! (as if you couldn\'t tell... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Go Back to forum