• Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Does Location Matter?

Share/Bookmark

Does Location Matter?

To what degree does location play a role in:

1. Composition/midi production proficiency
    2. Finding Work

Do people who live in Los Angeles/New York have any edge over those who live in less \"entertainment centric\" metro areas? Has the internet eliminated any location issues with respect to learning/acquiring the tips, equipment, and tricks to producing professional projects and/or finding work?

Thank you, and sorry to use Sampler Forum bandwidth, for an OT question, but I like it here best. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Joanne

Re: Does Location Matter?

Everything goes and everything changes. There is a natural difference in composing cultures, but when you listen to peoples work here for example - the difference seem to be in personality, not in/on location. I think the network technologies (internet) changed things radically. Many people went to dig composergold in US, NY and LA, but now more people just stay where they are - or travel for periods. I think that places like NY and LA are a bit easier due to the possibility to network with other parties. Many producers and people who call the shots are located in those areas, so it might make a small difference. However, the network technologies gives the amazing possibility to listen to several works and decide whats best. This gives another kind of competition on the market. I think you are mostly referring to movies/films, when you refer to LA/NY. Because in other branches like TV, Commercials, etc. The market is widely spread out. Anyway. My point is - stay where you wanna stay. Location doesnt REALLY influence us as composers, except for local music traditions and the new network techs (internet) creates a new and competitive environment.

May the best woman or man - win.

Love - Chris

Its my experience that people like to see atleast one \"face\" pretty frequently with projects.

This is why Music Agnets work for some people, or \"post production\" houses get buisness they farm out to composers.

I do work with developers all over, but my main work comes from a company that is 15 minutes away from me. I\'m allowed to keep interst in me by just going to lunch with people there.

To take a quote from A league of their own....\"You gotta go where things happen.\"

So much is about who you know......and the best way to get to know more people in this biz is networking and being social. You have to be able to get a call one evening saying, \"We need this demo tomorrow at 8AM...can you do it?\" And you say, \"yes...I\'ll run it over in the morning.\" Of course...the internet has changed things....you could feasibly upload it to your server in this case and anyone anywhere can get it. But there still is some value to being seen in the biz. It helps build trust in relationships.

Being in the same town (in my case LA) where most post production work is being done on movies......in my opinion is a must.

Everything goes and everything changes. There is a natural difference in composing cultures, but when you listen to peoples work here for example - the difference seem to be in personality, not in/on location. I think the network technologies (internet) changed things radically. Many people went to dig composergold in US, NY and LA, but now more people just stay where they are - or travel for periods. I think that places like NY and LA are a bit easier due to the possibility to network with other parties. Many producers and people who call the shots are located in those areas, so it might make a small difference. However, the network technologies gives the amazing possibility to listen to several works and decide whats best. This gives another kind of competition on the market. I think you are mostly referring to movies/films, when you refer to LA/NY. Because in other branches like TV, Commercials, etc. The market is widely spread out. Anyway. My point is - stay where you wanna stay. Location doesnt REALLY influence us as composers, except for local music traditions and the new network techs (internet) creates a new and competitive environment.

May the best woman or man - win.

Love - Chris

QUOTE:
    \"You have to be able to get a call one evening saying, \"We need this demo tomorrow at 8AM...can you do it?\" And you say, \"yes...I\'ll run it over in the morning.\" END OF QUOTE..

No reputable company with a worthwhile project is going to call you in the evening and tell you they need something the next morning. In my experience, any such requests as this are from insignificant people who are not worth wasting any time and energy with. Professionals do not make such requests from other professionals. Any worthwhile project is planned, developed, and worked on over a reasonable period of time, and not on an impulse late night whim.

Fortunately in this day and age you can live and work anywhere you want in this business.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

I write my post from my perspective... I live in L.A.

I find that a lot of wanna-be film makers as well as composers seem to gravitate to LA. It seems that there is a much more broad market to get work here --I\'m guessing, than say Idaho-- because of the wide range in expertise as well as budget. I mean everyone here wants to be in movies one way or the other, and everyone has a movie idea or something in \"development\" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . So I would say there\'s possibly more small projects happening in LA than smaller cities. But! The competition is fierce here.

I would say that people seem to like talking face to face for the most part... discussing things over drinks or dinner etc.

My story is that of a struggling composer (I started pursuing it seriously about two years ago), who happens to have a wife that works for the biggest talent agency in Hollywood (actually Beverly Hills). What edge does this give me some may ask? Well????? not much.... It really is not as beneficial as it may seem. I get no special treatment from anyone in Hollywood, I\'m on my own. I\'ve chosen \"NOT\" to use any favors other than feedback on my work up to this point because it would be pointless until I do something \"phenomenal\". Or I should say, when I write for something that is phenomenal.

I\'m just pointing out the fact that everyone has a very tough time finding work [wherever they live] even if you have \"seemingly\" the best connections.

I\'m always trying to meet new people, that is the key..... more than good music!

Good luck! (and to me too) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

KID-

Funny. The people situated in LA claim its a \"must\" - and people outside it claim the opposite. I guess somebody must be wrong - and I dont think its the outsiders. Sorry. But success and gold can be found elsewhere. But if you like it in L.A (which I really cant grasp) - then by all means - stay there.

Love - Chris

LA is fun to trash, and living here is a compomise in quality of life in some ways....but really for musicians, there\'s really no other place like it.

IN PRAISE OF LA:

There are some great and probably better places to be for certain genres (like the Jazz and Theater scenes in NYC)....but there\'s really not anywhere else that you can find the level of intense variety of things going on than here. Film, TV, Mutimedia, Stage, Rock & Roll, Electronica, Avante Garde, World Music, Clubs, Industrials, Pop, Jazz, Gospel, Hip-Hop/R&B, Classical, Session work, Performance Art, Tours...pretty much the gamut.

That\'s what I\'ve always loved about being here....you can really find just about any kind of incredible musician and creative person in this area and there\'s so many things going on that one of them is bound to land on you if you can survive. For variety of opportunities, I think LA is king.

Working alone is fine.....but there\'s no subsitute for working with other highly talented and creative people. That\'s where the real benefit of the diversity of talent and amount of opportunity in LA comes in...not so much in dollars, but in experience and tapping into the vast base of musical knowledge that\'s here. There\'s no way i could have ever learned all the things I have if I hadn\'t moved here.

OTOH, there\'s WAY more competition here than anywhere else and there\'s a zillion guys all competing for the same gigs (especially composers -ridiculous at this point really...)....cost of living is really high too, so it\'s really hard to make it, and a lot of people can\'t take it.

(starting to sound like \"McArthur Park\"....sheez!)

in many ways, if you can establish a good music business outside of LA, in the more niche markets....that can be a lot better financially sometimes. you have to be fairly driven to do well here....or really fortunate in your connections.

spectrum

I think I will repeat my old post again. It REALLY seems to give meaning now.

\"...Funny. The people situated in LA claim its a \"must\" - and people outside it claim the opposite. I guess somebody must be wrong - and I dont think its the outsiders. Sorry. But success and gold can be found elsewhere. But if you like it in L.A (which I really cant grasp) - then by all means - stay there...\"

Love - Chris

Go Back to forum