• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: average time needed in post production for dialogs?

Share/Bookmark

OT: average time needed in post production for dialogs?

This is definetely OT but:

the director I am working with on an independent motion picture inquired at a post prod facility in NY about the amount of time needed to edit and finalize his dialog tracks for a movie that is a little less than 2 hours long. They said it would need about 3 weeks !?

The director mostly directs commercial spots and this is his first motion picture (same here, this is the first soundtrack i write for something longer than 20 minutes)

I told him that 3 weeks sounded crazy to finalize his dialog tracks but i\'ve never done dialog post production. The dialog is already recorded. There is no need to redo some of the scenes. Probably just clean up the tracks, maybe add some ambience when needed, eq, compress, limit ...etc
    A mastering job i guess.

I told him i would ask my buddies at NS about this issue and get back to him.

So here i go again... I turn to you, shut up and learn.

Thank you

Re: OT: average time needed in post production for dialogs?

Post houses generally estimate one hour of editing time for each finished minute. Therefore a film totalling 120 minutes would take approximately 120 hours of edit time which would equal three weeks. Depending on the complexity of the project it could be done in much less time, but they are estimating an average schedule.

From what I\'ve read its ADR that kills the dialog schedule. If your tracks are clean you should easily beat the three week estimate. If you have to (choose to) do dialog replacement, sky\'s the limit.

Richard & Jon,

thank you so much for this info.

Forgive me for my ignorance but what does ADR stand for (attack, decay, release?) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Jon, i feel like i should have you on a retainer for all the valuable info you have been giving me so far. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

ADR is automatic dialog replacement. But it\'s time consuming - there\'s little \"automatic\" about it.

If the film was shot outside, you\'ll likely find that there\'s a plane, a truck or a jackhammer in the background. No one noticed it at the time, but it\'ll really stand out on review. So you bring in the actor to re-take the dialog. But you need lots of takes to get the right inflection at the right tempo. Then when you put it in, the background noise gets cut. Here\'s a tip: always record a few minutes of the background noise when on location. You can then mix it in as needed. Finally, the ambience of the voice may be wrong, so you have to mess with your reverb controls to get it to sound like it was shot in the same alley where you filmed the action.

Getting the technical stuff to match is tough, so you may decide to replace the dialog for the whole scene. But now you need lots of time from the actors, and you will need to replace all of the foley as well. You will still need a convincing reverb, but it won\'t have to perfectly match the kept dialog.

Let\'s hope that the dialog tracks are great, right out of the box. This will save oodles of time. Fortunately, Ben Gazarra and Leslie Ann Warren are pros, so if they need to re-record their voices, it will probably go fairly smoothly.

Jon,

what can i say?
    Only that i am so grateful for the knowledge you generously share with me.

Thank you

Jon is correct about the ADR. It\'s very time consuming. On the other hand I just finished a project that had 300 minutes of audio to edit. The tracks were clean and the entire job took 60 hours. It all depends on what shape the audio is in.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Another great tip for ADR...if you\'re on the project before shooting: Get the location sound engineer to record a starter pistol in each location. That way you can use a convolver after the fact to match the space.

By the way, if you can avoid dealing with Leslie Ann Warren, your mental health will thank you for it. She is pretty difficult. I did a film with her a few years ago, and she is not a happy person. In fact, we\'d get even with her by telling bystanders that she really loved her fans and loved to sign autographs and meet people. One time, we had a couple of homeless guys chasing her down the street...funny stuff. I saw her yell at a production assistant once for putting Ozarka in her \"face mister\" instead of Evian. Be warned. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    Another great tip for ADR...if you\'re on the project before shooting: Get the location sound engineer to record a starter pistol in each location. That way you can use a convolver after the fact to match the space.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Another great tip indeed.
    The wonderful thing about venturing into a new field is that you get to learn a new trick everyday (yes, i know, the same can be said about fields you think you know as well)

As far as Leslie Ann Warren is concerned, I don\'t think i have to worry about that too much. She lives in California and we are doing the post prod in NJ and NY.
    If i get to meet her though, I\'ll tell her Bruce R. says hi [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Richard, would you mind emailing me at decaumette@optonline.net if you can recommand a good facility in NY that has reasonable rates for post prod?

Thank you all for the insighful tips!

ps: Rob, I know you are following these threads with interest [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Interesting Jon - thanks for sharing.

Rob

Go Back to forum