• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question for Bruce Richardson

Share/Bookmark

Question for Bruce Richardson

Hi Bruce, you\'re a sonar user like me and I thought I\'d ask you a question:

When I\'m bouncing digitally in gigastudio it accepts midi start sync information from a sequencer. But Sonar can only be set to send this information to ONE port at a time. Thus when I\'m working on my digital bounces I have to manually bounce the project for each computer, one by one by selecting the appropriate send port in Sonar. This is a bit time consuming as I have to do this with 3-4 computers. Is there a way around this? I need perfect sync between the computers so starting and stopping the recording manually is not an option. This can be frustrating, especially when I\'m working on large and lengthy pieces.

Also Sonar does not send \"continue\" data as \"start\" data so I cannot begin the digital bounce in the middle of a track.

Any suggestions?

Thomas

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Question for Bruce Richardson

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    Hi Bruce, you\'re a sonar user like me and I thought I\'d ask you a question:

When I\'m bouncing digitally in gigastudio it accepts midi start sync information from a sequencer. But Sonar can only be set to send this information to ONE port at a time. Thus when I\'m working on my digital bounces I have to manually bounce the project for each computer, one by one by selecting the appropriate send port in Sonar. This is a bit time consuming as I have to do this with 3-4 computers. Is there a way around this? I need perfect sync between the computers so starting and stopping the recording manually is not an option. This can be frustrating, especially when I\'m working on large and lengthy pieces.

Also Sonar does not send \"continue\" data as \"start\" data so I cannot begin the digital bounce in the middle of a track.

Any suggestions?

Thomas
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have been talking to them about the first matter. Unfortunately there is not a workaround, and it is a pain.

The second matter is much easier to solve. Go to Options | Project and select the MIDI out tab. There is a checkbox there that says \"Use Start never Continue.\" Check it, and you should be able to start anywhere in the sequence.

I\'ll let Ron and Greg know that we\'re still waiting for the first update. It always helps for other people to bug them, though, so I\'d urge you to communicate with Cakewalk on the matter as well.

Best regards,
    Bruce

Thanks a bunch, Bruce. I\'ll email them when I\'ve assembled my little list of annoying quirks in Sonar/cakewalk.

Thomas

Thomas,

I wonder if you could send the start info to a (multi client) hubi loopback port, then several things could open that? It\'s probably not ideal to send sync info to an intermediary, but it might be worth a try.

Also, on the off chance that you have an Opcode (RIP) midi interface, there is an undocumented system.ini hack to turn on a broadcast port, a lifesaver when I need to sync multiple devices to midi clock or whatever. It\'s the second line here:

[STUDIO128X.DRV1]
    Cutoff=0

Unfortunately, I think this is a rare feature. I don\'t use Sonar btw, good luck!

Go Back to forum