• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Something simple from a VERY non professional

Share/Bookmark

Re: Something simple from a VERY non professional

Jolives,

when you say an improv..where did you get the idea?

Alan Russell

Alan,

It\'s just themes that come to me. I hear a melody or harmonic pattern in my head and then I improvise around what I hear.

This piece reminds me a little bit of some 19th century nationalistic stuff, but with a bit of new agey feel thrown in.

Usually, I\'ll just be humming at my desk and make a mental note of the melody.

J Olives,

Great stuff, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Nice composition, and great playing too.

Very nice.

Hey J,
    for someone who doesn\'t consider himself very good at the piano I would have to say I consider otherwise. Very nice stuff.
    Is it all played in or adjusted in your midi editor?
    For someone who can play this well to begin with you should be able to make it flawless with a little editing after the fact.
    Nice job

cb

Thanks guys. That\'s just a straight capture out of gigastudio. I played it on my QS8 and hit the record button in GS.

I bought Cakewalk Sonar to learn how to sequence, but I haven\'t figured out how (or had time) to use it.

It reminds me a bit of Rachmaninov in places (one of the greatest pianists EVER).

If it\'s just solo piano pieces you\'re interested in then I think you\'re doing a fantastic job. 90% of it is very fluid. I think it rambles on a bit in places (so does a lot of classical music), and I think some of the changes are a bit abrupt (that happens sometimes when you\'re improvising).

With something that sounds that good, it justifies going back and taking a second look at and seeing where improvements can be made. Especially if, as you say, it\'s the writing that interests you.

I give it a B+ [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You should definitely look into recording into a sequencer. Then you can have it as a score (not sure if Sonar has a scoring feature) and refine it as a composition.

I know you can look at a Midi score in Sonar, but I\'d have a hard time telling what was played with which hand. I guess the investment I need to make is in time. I tend to play for maybe and hour a week, and I need to bump that and add some time for learning to sequence.

I really appreciate all of your opinions. It makes me feel great. I never considered myself a piano player, but family members always said I was pretty good. It\'s good to get some outside perspective.

Unfortunately, I don\'t have a ton of money for sample libraries. I have the Malmsjo, the Steinway B from East West, GigaDrums, Gigaharp, Ultimate Strings, some other cheapo percussion libraies, and all the free giga stuff you can download (like the sam trumpet, and Worra\'s stuff).

This positive feedback excites me though. There is a lot of stuff upstairs that I just can\'t play, but would love to sequence. Are there any \"quick start\" guides that could help me with this?

Here is something I played after listening to a bunch of weird Dubussy stuff.

http://www.kingstalk.com/uploads/whole.mp3

Go Back to forum