• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Gigapulse or MIR?

Share/Bookmark
    Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: OT: Gigapulse or MIR?

Mir\'s a simple convolver. GigaPulse is that plus a whole lot more. There\'s not much comparison between the two...GigaPulse is definitely a next generation tool. However, if you\'re looking for simple, two channel convolution, Mir is fine. A single \"space\" in GigaPulse is actually 7 mics x 16 positions + mic modeling. It\'s quite a bit more elaborate.

actually I believe that MIR is built on a similar premise as Gigapulse. Multiple Mic positions and impulses created with multiple directions (7 way at each position possibly) to recreate an acoustic space WITH placement. Anyhow, there\'s not enough info on MIR, if you want more info you should ask this at VSL\'s forum. You might get a more detailed response.

No one knows enough about MIR except that it wont show up before GigaPulse.

Thanks Bruce and King,

From the 4 page brochure, I certainly like what I see on Gigapulse! If it even comes close to the marketing hype, it will be next year\'s big winner IMHO. I get goosebumps thinking I can put VSL (and all the perf tools) \'inside\' one of those halls - with as much flexibility on \'micing\'. There has to be a catch - like I\'ll need another supercomputer just to run it!?!?

Rob

from what I\'ve been hearing about GP is that they\'ve been working on optimizers and other options so that you wont need a seperate machine, but I dont doubt it will require some good CPUs

thank goodness its a VST Plug, FXTeleport will help out [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

OOOOOOPS!!!!!!

Disregard what I said completely. I had a brain fart and thought you were talking about SIR, which is a freeware/shareware stereo convolver. MIR is a whole different thing. I don\'t know enough about it at this point to make a call.

Sorry about that. I guess I need to take my Geritol.

That\'s OK, Bruce - we have enough acronymns floating around here to drive one batty - IMHO [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

King,

I just purchased a nice computer from Truespec (2.66 Ghz - 2 gig Ram). Do you suppose that should be fast enough? My other giga is a 1.7 Ghz - 1 gig ram. I will have this machine upgraded to whatever is the lastest greatest processor is when GP comes out.

EDIT: Oh wait a minute - you said VST - then that will run on my DAW (that computer is 2.8 Ghz / 2 gig ram).

Rob

Speaking of acronyms...wth is MIR!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Speaking of acronyms...wth is MIR!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">A Russian space station? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It\'s Multi Impulse Response;

http://vsl.co.at/english/pages/profile/news/the_mir_project.htm

well you may want to try reading into the whole \"integrated\" with Gigastudio thing [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

but anyhow we should find out more info during NAMM, then you can start to wonder (or not) about CPU horsepower.

Hi Rob,

I\'ve read what there is on gigapulse, so not a question out of laziness, but lack of understanding of our present limitations. If you have time [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , could you explain what gigapulse will likely allow you to do that you cannot do with your present setup?

Danka, gracias, merci beaucoup, THANK YOU!!!!

Go Back to forum