• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ok.. let me ask this then... (new guy)

Share/Bookmark

Ok.. let me ask this then... (new guy)

What are the libraries that are a must for composing?

I\'m starting from the ground up with giga and don\'t have a clue... But I\'m beginning to wonder if I\'m
    making the right move after reading the \"Eastweast\" thread...

thanx

Re: Ok.. let me ask this then... (new guy)

KIIIIIIIID!!

welcome to my new hangout [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

about libs, man, its too ahrd ot say nowadays, too much new stuff coming out.

However, alot of the Spectrasonics stuff is good to have [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Having some sort of \"sampler\" is going to be good to have whether or not you go with EWQLSO. HAving it software based is even better, since its usually quicker to work this way rather than hardware.

All I can suggest is do some searching in the forum for specific libs you have questions about.

There\'s a TON of talk about orchestral stuff here.

Welcome, fellow Planeteer.

Yeah... what King says. There appears to be a whole lot of stuff right around the corner, and although there is a lot of great stuff currently available it might be best to wait a month or so to let the NAMM dust settle a bit. The two biggest upcoming \"buzz\" libraries seem to be the Quantum Leap Orchestra and the Vienna Symphonic Library.

But in the meantime, here are a few of the current libraries that get a lot of positive feedback around here:

Strings:
    Garritan Orchestral Strings
    Sonic Implants Strings
    Kirk Hunter Strings

Brass:
    Dan Deans Brass Ensemble
    SAM Horns
    Kirk Hunter Brass

Percussion:
    London Orchestral Percussion

Pianos:
    Classical: Art Vista Malmsjo (not sure if I spelled it correctly)

I just got the \"Rain Piano\" from Bigga Giggas and I like it a lot. It\'s more of a singer/songwriter type of piano

Harp:
    X-Sample Volume 8
    Giga Harp

Just a few suggestions to start your research. I\'m just beginning to scratch the surface of orchestral composition, and I\'m sure that there are other more experienced users here who can give you some great input. Also be sure to sift through the archives - these libraries and many others have been discussed many times.

What\'s up guys, thanks for the info!...

I\'m sure I\'ll be around here more than anywhere else once I get my giga system (I\'m rarely on the planet anymore.. I think i wore out my welcome [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

But yeah I was just looking for some \"Orchestral\" stuff to start out with, things that people seem to like. I have some other orchestral libraries like PeterS. & Miroslav, but I can\'t say I\'m a fan (but I use it for now).

Yeah King, I have a EMU E4xT and Reason 2.O, but compared to giga the EMU is a joke.... (I\'ll still use it though once I\'m giga-bound).

BTW... How the hell do you guys afford all the Giga Libraries, I mean, 3k here 2k there etc... etc...??? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I\'m interested to see what turns up at NAMM.....

Oh btw, you guys got any cues I can check out?

KID-

I got some. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

yo kid,

the E4 is still actually pretty cool, the filters are better than giga IMO, not to mention other features it has that giga cant replicate at the mo\'. I\'m sure you\'ll still find lots of use for it when/if you get giga.

About libs and $$$. Not everyone dumps cash on all the libs [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I was basically buying stuff for particular projects. \"budgeting\" some cash for libs.

Now I just get on my knees and bl....er no thats not for libs... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, I have nothing new up or posted. Lately all I\'ve been doing with giga is programming and editing. All the music I\'ve done lately has been in ps2 format, and the limitations I have with the format isn\'t really allowing me to do anything groundbreaking [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

there\'s a ton of, now old, junk at

www.musicyouneed.com/stuff

the E4 is still actually pretty cool, the filters are better than giga IMO, not to mention other features it has that giga cant replicate at the mo\'. I\'m sure you\'ll still find lots of use for it when/if you get giga.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Glad to hear that! Now if I only had more I/O... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Which reminds me, what is the typical I/O for giga (anyone?)? Does it come out as a sub mix into
    whatever? I\'m really going to have to think about my configuration, sync, I/O. etc.

But yeah I\'ll check out what you got on that link, King. I listened to some of your stuff way back but i can\'t remember if it was any good or not [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Just joke\'n... Actually I can\'t remember what it sounded like, I remember thinking it was pretty cool, though! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks King!

KID-

KID

I have some stuff on my page. Listen and see what you think. I have music from my first two films.

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/271/dh_rottering.html

Go Back to forum