• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What did you pay for your Giga+PC (mac guy)

Share/Bookmark

What did you pay for your Giga+PC (mac guy)

How much was your Giga set up (I mean the whole thing... CPU, Hard Drive, software etc.). I\'m starting from scratch and don\'t know crap about PC (I have two macs). Any info will be much appreciated! Also could you composers recommend some good libraries for Giga, I\'m thinking of getting \"Sonic Implants strings\" and \"Vienna, Brass & Woodwinds, and Percussion\"... What do you guys think of those libraries? Are there any that you feel are better or a must have?

BTW... What are your pros and cons w/Giga?

Thanks!

KID-

Re: What did you pay for your Giga+PC (mac guy)

I paid about $2500 for it... In April 2002 in Norway

P4 1.7 Ghz
    512 DDR-RAM
    2x 80Gb 7200Rpm HD
    Midiman Midisport 4x4
    Egosys Maya44
    Matrox G550 Millenium

etc... etc... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

That sounds extremely expensive Nagash?? I think my AMD Giga PC\'s cost me around $1000 with 1GB RAM and two harddrives. Add to that monitor+soundcard - soundcard around $300 for RME DIGI9636 and monitor - well I only use one monitor for 3 machines.

About 1.200 Euros for this:

P-IV 1.8 Ghz
    Abit BL7 Motherboard (i845)
    1Gb RAM (PC-133)
    Hd Seagate 40Gb + 60 Gb 7.200 RPM
    Gforce 4 MX440 + S3 Virge
    LG Flatron 775FT (2x)

This is only the PC, add to this a Soundcard, Master keyboard and monitors.

You can view a photo on mi website

Regards,

Dani.
    www.danieltejerina.com

If you don\'t know crap about pcs then my advice is don\'t get one! Wait for QLSO as that will be an MVI that runs on a Mac. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

kid-surf,

I was exactly in your position (2 macs in the studio, no knowledge of PCs at all). Went with James Frederickson (520-325-3502), a guy who does nothing but put together Giga systems. (He puts together systems for lots of the really big names in NY and LA.)

Because he buys at a discount, I don\'t think I paid any more for my system than if I\'d bought through PC Conncection (or whatever). He configured the system for me, suggested libraries (which he sold at great prices and installed for free).

Since my system arrived (maybe a year ago), it\'s never crashed or caused any problems. James has always been available for advice on upgrades, etc.

I\'m not an employee of Frederickson or anything like that. Just a really pleased customer. Give him a call.

John

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by vaultcomplex:
    In that \"joy\" you forgot to include how many times everything will crash and drive you insane [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Funny, my Gigastudio rigs literally never crash. They never have, over several hardware upgrades, running every version since GigaSampler 1.6 and every OS from Win98 to XP. They run and make money for weeks and weeks and weeks at a time. The machine I\'m currently looking at has been up for over a month.

To the original poster: A nice machine, fully networked, with a pro-grade interface, word clock, multi i/o capable, rackmount case, full bore everything would run you around $2600 give or take a few hundred. You can build a super bargain rig for probably $1200 give or take a few hundred, but it won\'t be necessarily roadworthy if that\'s a part of your gig.

I think if you\'re a Mac guy, you\'d especially want a very nice PC for your first one. One of the nice things about Giga is how well it works out to have Ethernet going with your rig. If your PC is wordclocked to your Mac, you can render files to the disk on the PC (direct from Giga) and easily drag them into your DAW app on the Mac. If your Mac DAW app will work well over Ethernet, you may even be able to leave them on the Giga PC and stream tracks over Ethernet in realtime. I do this from PC to PC all the time.

At the very least, you need to have some way to clock the sound card on the PC to your audio clock on the Mac, at least if you intend to keep everything in the digital domain. Otherwise you can run into timing issues. Multichannel Lightpipe is a nice thing to get in your audio interface--that way you can transfer 8 discrete channels into the DAW at once, and forego the \"mix to file\" methodology.

Excellent, excellent information guys! Much appreciated! You guys are the best!!!

JDK--- Yes I\'ll definitely give him a call! Thanks for the tip...

Thomas_J--- Thanks for the great info. Yes, I consider myself more of a professional even though my jobs have ben minimal to this point, I have no day job so this is it for me (whatever it takes is my mantra [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ). Actually $6-7k doesn\'t sound that bad for an awesome giga-system, I was under the impression that (1) would be 5k until I started asking around (dumb... I know... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ). I have at this point spent about $48k on my system so what\'s another 7k+ he..he.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] To be be able to have that sound quality and flexibility sounds very exciting (I\'ve listened to some of your folk\'s mixes and they are phenomenal!).

BTW... I\'m running DP3, Pro-Tools LE, and Reason 2.0 on the Macs. Are you all running Logic?

Oh crashes... I know about crashes. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

My studio so far is this --->

I can\'t wait to add giga!!!! THANKS GUYS! Glad I found this site...

KID-

Bruce-

I just saw your post...

Great info!

Yes, I don\'t really want to skimp or cut corners on my first machine, I want something that is current and will work with 3.0. It may have to get me through this year till I get/add a few more so I want it to be as stable and fast as possible.

Thanks for being nice to the \'new guy\', guys!

KID-

I still think getting the \"fastest machine\" is overkill for a giga rig.

I put together a gigarig for 550 bucks, with a duron 1.3 AND an 8 out audio card (192k).

This is obviously jsut for giga 2.5 and not something I\'d run 3.0 on. Still I can upgrade the CPU once 3.0 is out and possibly get a faster chip than whats offered right now.

Its possible that a faster machine would be best for EWQLSO too.

Go Back to forum