• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Maarten - sample posted: Need some SAM Horns advice/help

Share/Bookmark

Maarten - sample posted: Need some SAM Horns advice/help

I\'m writing a passage that uses the SAM H .glissando B (gliss followed by brief sustain). I\'d like to continue the melody after the glissando, but am having trouble finding a sample that matches the same brightness of that sound. Even the normal sustain hit at the hardest velocity does not produce the same sound with the right amount of sharpness that\'s heard in the glissando B.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Re: Maarten - sample posted: Need some SAM Horns advice/help

This may be exactly the opposite of what you want to do, but try applying the low-pass filter in Giga editor to the glissando horns - if you use a controller, you can bring it in gradually at the sustain, this may help match.

Dasher

Ah, interesting suggestion [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I\'d like to preserve the sharpness of the sound though. I might do the low-pass filter trick though if I need to.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hey SAM [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Always interesting to try and find solution for midi orchestration problems like these. Problem here is that the players can\'t get the same power in a sustained note as in a shorter \'hit\'. The shorter the \'energy time laps\', the more energy they can give it.

Maybe I can give you two suggestions:

- Try and using a Swell A. Start the Swell so that it takes over the sustained Gliss B. You could also layer another Sustain or Marcato A to fill a possible gap. Portatos also have a brighter middle than the sustains. You can try those too.

- Maybe this can also be seen as a typical \'let the samples overrule your writing\' situation, though most of us don\'t like this situation, of course. Perhaps you could alter the sustained note in your melody. Make it not fully sustained, but for instance write a small decrescendo, or more of a portato-gesture, shorter note before going on to the next. Pretty impossible to suggest something like this without hearing the material [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Best,

Maarten

Maarten,

Thanks for the tips. I\'ll post a clip tomorrow that gives you an idea of what I\'m trying to do.. I will just use the sustains to represent the melody.

A clip has been posted

http://www.samhulick.com/Horns.mp3

At 0:09, you hear the gliss.. followed by sustains that do not match the same brightness of the gliss.

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    A clip has been posted

http://www.samhulick.com/Horns.mp3

At 0:09, you hear the gliss.. followed by sustains that do not match the same brightness of the gliss.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You could:

1. Record the sustains on a seperate track and EQ them seperately to match.

2. Create a new instrument with the sustains batch- wave edited with EQ to match

I think he needs some Samtrombs with bite on top - that would solve it.

Love - Chris

Hmmm, hearing this my guess would be to use the longest marcato, A, on top or instead of that \'soft\' sustain, and perhaps start a swell at the same point as the marcato. In my head this sounds good, now you try it for real. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Maarten

While we\'re on the subject of swells, I was wondering if you are aware of the \"Special\" keyswitch patch in SAM Horns that has incorrect keyswitches. When I do the keyswitch for Swell A, I get Swell A above middle C and Swell B below middle C. The only way I can get Swell A below middle C is to hit the Gliss \"rip\" keyswitch. I was hoping you could make an .art file to fix this.

Go Back to forum