• Register
  • Help

Topic: Jazz Score...

Jazz Score...

Here is a piece that I can best describe as a jazz underscore. Critiques/Comments welcome.

( www.aaronsapp.com/Shroud.mp3 )

It is case-sensitive. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Jazz Score...

Nice, Aaron. The piece moves from style to style without being too jarring, except when you probably mean it to be jarring, like at :43.

What\'s the bass? It might benefit from some varied articulation, especially at the beginning. My ears were also searching for a few more altered chords in piano & guitar around 1:00-1:10.

Very convincing woodwinds, and some nice drum programming, as well. You might fiddle with the timing between the foot-closed hi-hat and bass -- to my ears, at times, the hi-hat is a little behind the beat. It\'s really the end of the sample that should find the beat, rather than the attack. The link between the bass & hi-hat are what the rest of the rhythm section should build around, in my opinion.

These are nitpicks. Again, some really cool writing.

Thanks for listening. There\'s really only one articulation for a solo upright bass. I know, I felt that I should changed the progression a little bit there, but I was having more fun than anything.

Your progression is great! By altered chords, I mean you could throw in a 13th or 11th here and there. And listen closely to a solo upright jazz bass, and you\'ll hear what I\'m talking about regarding varied articulations.

At the risk of sounding like a \"jazz snob,\" jazz done by musicians who don\'t play a lot of jazz often sounds like a parody of jazz - just like some mock \"orchestral\" pieces sound like cliches or parodies of orchestral music. You\'ve successfully sidestepped that pitfall. Again, great writing.

Well, I don\'t really know about adding 11ths and 13ths, even though I\'m sure the concept is quite simple. (or is it?)

Nice! I like the blend of classic and jazz.

I agree a 11 or 13 chord somewhere will add an extra \"Jazz\" to it.

Often when I write something jazzy I let my hands \"decide\" on the keyboard (Instead of theory) - I get a buzzing in my hands - ordering me to move or stretch my fingers. If I obey this \"feeling\", I tend to get some interesting chords and melodies. I almost hear that cruncy sound of my brain and heart getting a good work out... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway - good work.

A. Its always interesting to hear your pieces due to their \"confusing\" nature. You have NO problem playing different genres, but I still think it lacks some consistency. The red thread - the hardest part to \"sow\". Find it my friend - and you will really rise above the grounds.

Love - Chris

What are these 11ths and 13ths you guys talk about? Is it some added note in the scale?

Yes they\'re added notes in a scale. Just count along the scale to find out what they are. 8 is the octave so 9 is the next one along and...well I\'m sure you can see where I\'m going with this. So for C, the 9th would be D and the 11th would be F. I think they\'re referring to adding 11ths and 13ths to your chords.

I sent you a private message - check it out.

Go Back to forum