• Register
  • Help

Topic: Worra's Rain Piano

Share/Bookmark

Worra\'s Rain Piano

It arrived in the mail today, and I\'ve been fiddling around with it for the past hour or so.

Just wanted to say nice job on this piano, Worra - it\'s just the sort of character that I was looking for. Reminds me of the upright pianos in the old college practice rooms (if they were a bit more in tune). Also, the optional gigs that you programmed could be very useful in specific situations.

Thanks.

Re: Worra\'s Rain Piano

Originally posted by Kobb:
    It arrived in the mail today, and I\'ve been fiddling around with it for the past hour or so.

Just wanted to say nice job on this piano, Worra - it\'s just the sort of character that I was looking for. Reminds me of the upright pianos in the old college practice rooms (if they were a bit more in tune). Also, the optional gigs that you programmed could be very useful in specific situations.

Thanks.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Kobb.

Glad you liked it!
    I must admit it\'s a bit of a favourite for me too, ok I made it, so I\'m probably a bit biased.... But when the result gets so near what you aimed for when planning the instrument, you must be happy. Then, if it turns out that other people likes it, even better!

I think that the Rain Piano is special in two ways: First, there\'s nothing really like it in the sample market today. That has to do with the way it\'s set up. It\'s de-tuned without actually being out of tune. This gives it it\'s unique sound. The secret is really to slightly lower one of the three strings that makes the tone of most of the notes on the piano, leaving the other two in tune. This gives the piano it\'s unique characther but keeps it in tune so it works with other instruments.
    I think that this shows in a nice way how it sounds, and yes, as another person pionted out, I\'ve both seen and love the film \"Shine\".......

Another thing that makes the Rain Piano and the Studio Grand unique is the amount of samples used to construct the sampled instrument. For the Rain Piano, 10 different velocities where recorded. 10 with pedal up and 10 with pedal down. For the Studio Grand 12 velocities where recorded, 12 up and 12 down.
    I use 8 velocity layers for pedal up and 8 for pedal down, and having so many samples to chose from made it possible to make trasitions between the different velocity layers very transparent, without using any filters.

Go Back to forum