• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Book Trailers with Garritan Music

Share/Bookmark

Book Trailers with Garritan Music

The following link will take you to my new web site advertising my books. Under the Book Trailer Tab you can find two links to the trailers I created for my books. The music is realized by my GPO Library.

The Library of W.F. Rayer

Enjoy!

best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Book Trailers with Garritan Music

Great! Thanks for the link, Bill. This is such a cool concept that's been going on for awhile now, books being treated more like movies, with music trailers to help publicize them. I like it!

Your trailers are evocative and dramatic, very nicely done. The harpsichord was an especially effective choice in the trailer for "The Reach Beyond Tomorrow." And the cinematic, tension-filled moody scores sound like they're giving us a good preview of what the books are like. These are complex music productions, more involved than what we usually hear from you. I bet these took you a chunk of time!

The videos look really good too. Nice!

Thematically, your books look like they're stirring the pot of a lot if intriguing ideas people are more exposed to through shows like "Ancient Aliens" and modern sci-fi movies. Surely there's a ready audience for what you're writing. I would imagine it's difficult to attract the attention of potential readers, since there seems to be such a wave of books being published directly online now. But it's so great that you have your output hooked up through Amazon and Barnes and Noble!

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that there seems to a typo in the "Legacy of Pnomos" video. It says "the alien's harvesting the planet" - I think you intended plural aliens, not a single alien, possessive case, harvesting.--?

As I have before, I'm wishing you all the best with the books, Bill. It must be hard, as I said, to attract an audience, but I hope you do.

Randy

Great stuff - I was barely even aware of booktrailers myself until I was asked to do one early last year.

Nice dramatic build in the music, the suspense builds well with the narrative. I believe you're using Finale to out the audio? Some elements come out clearer than others, and the harpsichord is sounding clearer and brighter than any of the other elements. Would be nice to push the other elements up to match.

Have you considered a voice over for the narrative? I think booktrailers have more impact with a good VO.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Great! Thanks for the link, Bill. This is such a cool concept that's been going on for awhile now, books being treated more like movies, with music trailers to help publicize them. I like it!

Your trailers are evocative and dramatic, very nicely done. The harpsichord was an especially effective choice in the trailer for "The Reach Beyond Tomorrow." And the cinematic, tension-filled moody scores sound like they're giving us a good preview of what the books are like. These are complex music productions, more involved than what we usually hear from you. I bet these took you a chunk of time!

The videos look really good too. Nice!

Thematically, your books look like they're stirring the pot of a lot if intriguing ideas people are more exposed to through shows like "Ancient Aliens" and modern sci-fi movies. Surely there's a ready audience for what you're writing. I would imagine it's difficult to attract the attention of potential readers, since there seems to be such a wave of books being published directly online now. But it's so great that you have your output hooked up through Amazon and Barnes and Noble!

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that there seems to a typo in the "Legacy of Pnomos" video. It says "the alien's harvesting the planet" - I think you intended plural aliens, not a single alien, possessive case, harvesting.--?

As I have before, I'm wishing you all the best with the books, Bill. It must be hard, as I said, to attract an audience, but I hope you do.

Randy
    Hello Randy,

Thanks for stopping by and looking at these two trailers. They were extremely fun to do. This might be a fun challenge for the forum to take on, much like the challenges we used to have. Just a thought!

Thanks for catching that grammatical error. I am in the process of redoing the mix because of a couple of other errors. I will just add that to my list of corrections. It always takes more than two eyes/ears to catch all the mistakes. That's why books have editors (though I always thought an editor was placed on earth to make a writer's job more work .

I have sold a few, but am always trying to expand my market. Maybe someone on the forum will take a liking to the book(s) and buy one or two (million?)

Thanks again, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Great stuff - I was barely even aware of booktrailers myself until I was asked to do one early last year.

Nice dramatic build in the music, the suspense builds well with the narrative. I believe you're using Finale to out the audio? Some elements come out clearer than others, and the harpsichord is sounding clearer and brighter than any of the other elements. Would be nice to push the other elements up to match.

Have you considered a voice over for the narrative? I think booktrailers have more impact with a good VO.
    Hello Plowking,

Thanks for stopping by for a look and a listen. Actually, both were done through Sonar. My brother did the music for the first trailer (he's the sound engineer in the family.) The second one I did - trying to learn the trade. I will listen again and try what you suggest. I wasn't all that happy with my mix, but I did like my brothers. The first trailer was mixed in 2008-2009 and equipment and expertise have changed since then. The second was done last summer, before I really had a handle on this stuff.

A VO would be wonderful, if only I had a voice! Hard to find good readers that will read for nothing. My pockets don't go very deep.

Thanks again for looking/listening,

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    The following link will take you to my new web site advertising my books. Under the Book Trailer Tab you can find two links to the trailers I created for my books. The music is realized by my GPO Library.

The Library of W.F. Rayer

Enjoy!

best regards,
    Bill
    I have an autographed book 1 and disc; I would like to purchase an autographed book 2.

Hey Bill,

Congratulations on your books and the great website ... really enjoyed listening to these trailers.

I haven't blindly listened, but reading along while listening they were perfect for the text/story. I was a little surprised on Trailer 1 ... it was actually pretty tonal! Trailer 2 sounded more like the music I've come to hear and enjoy from you the past couple of yesrs.

Both pieces I thought had an interesting feel to them. On the surface, they both seemed like they were from the 40's, a la Citizen Kane style that Herrmann weaved so well. But then there were so many modern touches as well; a nice mixture.

I enjoyed them, Bill ... and continued good luck with your writing career.

Frank

Bill, what a great idea you have with these trailers! They serve as excellent examples of how powerful a promotion tool the internet is. Just think about how, in your solitude, you can write your books, compose your music, and then present your creations to the world via this amazing technology.

Your sensitively scored trailers effectively establish a taste for what you are promoting. You have a great idea, sir; I wish you well in your pursuit.

Tom, Book 2 is in the mail.

Frank
    , As I have expressed in the past, Hermann was one of my favorite Sci-Fi composers. I am glad you enjoyed them. The books are much more entertaining though.

Sean, yes, the internet reaches a lot of folks, but a lot of folks are using it to do the same thing... I keep trying.

Best regards to all,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Bill,

This is really the first time I hear about 'book trailers'. I suppose its quite uncommon in Europe to present new books that way. I've been a language teacher for almost 40 years and literature was one of my topics, but I've never encountered a musical presentation of a new book. I like the idea though, especially the way you narrate in your music so that the listener can live the tension and the atmosphere of the books. In the first piece, you've left your usual language for a more tonal approach, with the surprising and veryt effective touch of the (slightly over accentuated) harpsichord, creating some kind of mystery...
    And I agree with Plowking that a voice over would work miracles here.

I do hope that the trailer works (in commercial terms)!

Max

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast