• Register
  • Help

Topic: Users of EWQLSO, VSL, SI, SAMs

Users of EWQLSO, VSL, SI, SAMs

I am purchasing GOLD and OPUS 1. For those using a combination of EWQLSO and VSL, do you also find that SAM\'s horns, tpt, tbn, and SI strings play a role in your MIDI orchestra? If so, how? If you didn\'t already have SAM\'s and SI, would you get them in addition ot EWQLSO and VSL?

Thanks for your insight!

Re: Users of EWQLSO, VSL, SI, SAMs

If you are already thinking of spending $2,000 on Gold and Opus 1, and then possibly even more for a few additional libraries, why not buy EWQL Platinum for another $900?

With Gold and Opus 1 you will be getting 2 cut-down versions that include the more basic articulations. Why have 2 almost complete libraries? Plus you will have to run 2 different samplers to use them together.

If you buy Platinum, for example, you get all 3 mic positions, including the Hall mic samples that are not in Gold (or Opus 1), plus Platinum is 24-bit audio and has most everything you need without buying SAM etc.

I do have all of the SAM brass libraries and I highly recommend them. You still might want to buy them even with the options above, but it does sound like Gold/Platinum has many of the \"big\" film-style articulations that makes SAM so much fun. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I also use SI but that\'s another story.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m up for the SI story when you have time.

Thanks for your input.

I have SAM horns and trombones, and, like you, intend to get Opus and EWQL Gold in the New Year (and in that order - cash permitting). Based on the demos of these new cut-down libs, SAM should blend extremely well with them. I\'ve used SAM in conjunction with several different libraries and they always mix brilliantly.

From the demos I\'ve heard, SI sounds like it too has a unique and very subtle character with great beauty. Perhaps you could add that to your arsenal in time.

BTW, from my reckoning, based on UK prices, the combined cost of buying EWQL Gold and Opus 1 is in fact significantly CHEAPER than buying either ONE of the full versions of those libraries (by at least a grand if I\'m not mistaken [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ). Therefore buying both will, potentially, give you an enormous sonic palette to work from, and leave enough room in your budget for valuable instruments like SAM and SI. So get \'em before Vienna and EW change their minds. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Anyway, there are upgrade paths in both, so you can always expand. At last, it\'s a buyers market!

Luck to you
    (London, UK)

P.S. I\'m a Kontakt user, and, from what I\'ve heard, Opus should translate well to it (I hope).

Go Back to forum