• Register
  • Help

Topic: Con Fuoco, Movement 1 "Wrath of Fire" for Orchestra (Complete) GPO4 and IO

Share/Bookmark

Con Fuoco, Movement 1 "Wrath of Fire" for Orchestra (Complete) GPO4 and IO

Con Fuoco, movement 1: “Wrath of Fire”

I have been working on “Amazing Grace” for concert band since May. I was about to compose the percussion parts but then my thoughts turned to something a little bit more evil > my orchestral piece “Con Fuoco.” I shared the 1st movement about a year ago but I always felt it was a little incomplete. So this past weekend I decided to take a break on “Amazing Grace,” and see what I could accomplish with the 1st movement “Wrath of Fire.” This is good because when I do turn back to “Amazing Grace” not only will it seem fresh but with the inspiration of the aggressive percussive style of “Wrath of Fire” the percussion will be more driving also.

GPO4 Instruments used: timpani, violins 1 short bows ag, violins 1, bass drum, cymbals, cellos short bow ag, cellos, basses short bow ag, basses, full strings sus + short ag, full organ, sam f horn section, sam trumpet section, sam trombone section, sam bass trombone solo, sam tuba solo, bass trombone, tuba solo 2 ag, contrabassoon solo 1, bassoon 1 solo, contrabass clarinet solo, and bass clarinet solo.

IO Instruments used: snap pizzicato full strings, earth cavern percussion, snare and rolls, orchestral percussion 2, full choir, silvery choir, earth drums 3, scary piano fx, cymbals extras and fx, deep space percussion, and horrid choir.

Thanks for listening and commenting!

~Rodney
    https://www.box.com/s/pqx1g1cciei7sd4bb25o

Re: Con Fuoco, Movement 1 "Wrath of Fire" for Orchestra (Complete) GPO4 and IO

Hey Rodney!

With Fire indeed! Very exciting music; really enjoyed it. Glad to see getting married and having a little girl hasn't dulled the fire in your belly! LOL

The relentless percussion really ties this piece together; I like that aspect a lot. And, of course, being a huge fan of any of the big, long, very low winds, I loved all that basement action in the orchestration. A perfect piece to get big and heavy!

Amazing Grace will feel like a cloud after this!

Frank

Hi Rodney,

You've kept the fire burning with your brilliant orchestration, puzzling all these instrument libraries so well together and with the enchanting rhythm! It's indeed a thrilling piece of epic music. If I'm not mistaken, you posted that piece before? This version is absolutely top!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    ...I was about to compose the percussion parts but then my thoughts turned to something a little bit more evil...
    BWAHahahahahaha--It's fun to see your dark side come out again, Rodney. I remember this from last year, now it's sounding more wrath of fire-ish than ever. AND once again you provide me good inspiration. I have my own "something a little bit more evil" project which I have the concept for, but haven't begun to write. It's something to look forward to when I wrap up the TRuuuuly evil notation projects you currently have me going on.

Sounds super, Rod. If nothing else, it's a great demonstration of what can be done with one chord!--hehe--But it's much more than that. It's great fun, time to pull out the popcorn and sit on the edge of our seats for the big chase scene. I love it.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Rodney,

You've kept the fire burning with your brilliant orchestration, puzzling all these instrument libraries so well together and with the enchanting rhythm! It's indeed a thrilling piece of epic music. If I'm not mistaken, you posted that piece before? This version is absolutely top!

Max
    Hey Max! Thanks for stopping by, commenting, and listening. Yes I did post it before about a year ago but the orchestration now is much more aggressive that the other version seems as tame as a kitty cat. It was a puzzle combining the libraries together because I left my digital piano at my work studio and not at home since April. So since I've been without a piano, I had to redo this work all in my head. I composed the new first minute and a half in about 2-3 days. I would write a little and just think about the rest of the piece while I was driving around town with my wife and 4 month-old baby. I worked up a game plan in my head so when I got to the computer I just went and did it even if it was 2 am. I wanted the work to sound "low" or "with a growl" and would you believe that adding low woodwinds gave it that sound I was looking for. Other differences in this arrangement include muted brass effects for bite, the addition of the pipe organ, and all of the percussion. Would you believe that I have most of those percussion instruments in my baby's nursery right now: a snare drum, cymbals, hand drums, and even a few african dun duns to help me write the bass drum and timpani parts. I am actually finally getting a DAW this summer and it would have been nice to simply play the parts into the mix than having to put each of those little notes in Finale.
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    BWAHahahahahaha--It's fun to see your dark side come out again, Rodney. I remember this from last year, now it's sounding more wrath of fire-ish than ever. AND once again you provide me good inspiration. I have my own "something a little bit more evil" project which I have the concept for, but haven't begun to write. It's something to look forward to when I wrap up the TRuuuuly evil notation projects you currently have me going on.

Sounds super, Rod. If nothing else, it's a great demonstration of what can be done with one chord!--hehe--But it's much more than that. It's great fun, time to pull out the popcorn and sit on the edge of our seats for the big chase scene. I love it.

Randy
    Randy!

"So you are telling me that people use more than one chord in their music? Why in the world would they do that? That takes waaaayyyy too much effort. I mean, I gave you a glorious e minor chord for heaven's sake. What else do you want from me? My own flesh and blood, my first born! Goodness! You are so demanding... "

Thanks for listening and commenting my friend. Just picking on you which you already knew. I am so happy that someone did notice that I mostly did just used 1 chord for the entire piece. It was a good exercise which made me focus on color rather than chords to make the piece work and drive forward, and hey I finally wrote a piece that I could actually play the double bass part! All open E's baby, HAHAHAHA!!!

Yes I was in Heaven for so long in "Amazing Grace" that the percussion tempted me to play in darker games. So I returned to the fire and the burn feels so sweet. I guess all this piece needs now is electric guitar... just kidding... well maybe?

So Randy, have fun in notation "H E Double Hocky Sticks" my friend, but just remember no matter how hot the flames start to burn you just remember that poor Rodney has to do all of his renderings in Finale. I just had to share that world with you and let you have a taste so I would not be the only one around here having fun producing scores. Which reminds me, I need to finish the score for this work! Anyone know how to notate the Garritan sample "painful piercing cymbal thingy which also breaks the sound barrier?" HAHAHA.
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Hey Max! Thanks for stopping by, commenting, and listening. Yes I did post it before about a year ago but the orchestration now is much more aggressive that the other version seems as tame as a kitty cat. It was a puzzle combining the libraries together because I left my digital piano at my work studio and not at home since April. So since I've been without a piano, I had to redo this work all in my head. I composed the new first minute and a half in about 2-3 days. I would write a little and just think about the rest of the piece while I was driving around town with my wife and 4 month-old baby. I worked up a game plan in my head so when I got to the computer I just went and did it even if it was 2 am. I wanted the work to sound "low" or "with a growl" and would you believe that adding low woodwinds gave it that sound I was looking for. Other differences in this arrangement include muted brass effects for bite, the addition of the pipe organ, and all of the percussion. Would you believe that I have most of those percussion instruments in my baby's nursery right now: a snare drum, cymbals, hand drums, and even a few african dun duns to help me write the bass drum and timpani parts. I am actually finally getting a DAW this summer and it would have been nice to simply play the parts into the mix than having to put each of those little notes in Finale.
    ~Rodney
    Hi Rodney,

That's for the major part my way of working too: I seldom use the digital piano to play parts into the score. I start WITH the score, adding themes and harmonies already in my head, distributing them over the score immediately. Afterwards, I listen to all the parts and correct them if necessary or improve sound combinations on the fly. The final balance and room sound is added when everything else seems more or less OK. But I'm a restless composer. Sometimes I really must quit a composition, or else I would go on for ever changing and tweaking... The very least step is always the preparation of the audio file in Audacity (compression and normalisation, sometimes a little stereo balance correction and equalising). I could compose without a piano, but it is very handy to play in real time or in step time a complete theme for an instrument... But I never compose while playing.

Anyway, you've succeeded very well in realising your design or plan for this piece!

Max

Go Back to forum