• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Beyond the Stars - with the full Score

Share/Bookmark

Beyond the Stars - with the full Score

I'm still waiting for the recorded live version of this piece to come back, but for now here is the full score.

Beyond the Stars Score

And the piece again for reference.

Probably important to note that the woodwind runs in the mock up below do not match the score in a few places. Less runs were used in the live version.

www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Re: Beyond the Stars - with the full Score

What a wonderful catchy piece ala John Williams. I want to see the movie now! Anyways, I liked the turns in the harmonic phrases. You go another way when one expects a certain chord. Nice composing. Since I am not considered the "Render King", I can only say, it sounded 'live' to me so whatever techniques you used to render this, they work well for you.

Congratulations on a wonderful work.

Best regards
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

ZOOoooooooom! I've come in for a safe landing after shooting around in space amongst the stars--and Beyond the Stars. Whew! What a great ride!

You said on a recent thread that you'd be posting your score when it was finished, and I've been looking forward to seeing it - now that I'm spending so much time (and for the first time!) trying to get some decent looking and accurate scores of my own in shape. So thanks for putting it up as advertised - I loved following along as I listened to the piece again.

Looks great to me, Graham! It brings up a few questions for me, maybe you can help me out.

--I haven't attempted to notate things like these irregular runs where you've managed to get 7 notes taking up the space normally used by 8. I remember how you explained earlier that this is one of the composing tricks of Williams', to have an uneven number of notes in runs. Now I'm wondering where I'll find the tool for this in Sibelius - I've never looked, there must be some way to do what you've done here.

--On timpani rolls, I've been using the same slashed stem as you have on the snare drum. Using the stretched out trill mark is the proper convention, or are both notations considered legitimate?

There are other things actually, I'll leave the questions to those two. This is great though, I have your score opened and ready to refer to as I launch into another day of pushing things around in my current score project. Thanks for the assistance.

Super, Graham - And it'll be great to hear the live version when they get the recording of the concert to you. Big congratulations on that, by the way!

Randy

Hi Bill, you probably didn't catch this piece the first time it went around on the forum - glad you enjoyed that.

Randy - I prefer to have it as the tremolo marking on the timpani notes - I've seen it both ways, but far more commonly with the tremolo notes.

Now that you mention it I'll probably change them back, because they were originally tremolo markings when my first draft score was sent - and I think they got changed in the conversion from finale to sibelius as the conductor used sibelius.

I'm not familiar enough with how sibelius works to comment on how to input an irregular number of notes. In finale it was accessed through the triplet tool where you could specify the number of notes in place of another number of notes - in this instance 7 16ths in place of 8 16ths.

I'll look at it tonight though, so will come back with more info if I find it.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Hi Plowking,

This is just phantastic. And the score is very clean and clear, a pleasure to read it!
    What a drive and how brilliantly orchestrated. Such an amount of (low) brass instruments can easily cause a heavy, overloaded sound in an orchestration, but yours is so well equilibrated. With such a rendering, one could hardly tell the difference with a real orchestra. The forum is spoiling us recently with super high quality compositions and renditions! Yours is definitely one of the best (summa cum laude!!!).

So glad that I could enjoy it!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    ...I prefer to have it as the tremolo marking on the timpani notes - I've seen it both ways, but far more commonly with the tremolo notes.

Now that you mention it I'll probably change them back, because they were originally tremolo markings when my first draft score was sent - and I think they got changed in the conversion from finale to sibelius as the conductor used sibelius.

I'm not familiar enough with how sibelius works to comment on how to input an irregular number of notes. In finale it was accessed through the triplet tool where you could specify the number of notes in place of another number of notes - in this instance 7 16ths in place of 8 16ths.
    This score already has the trems on timpani, the way you want. Good to know that's more common, I'll change mine since my goal is to have things look as expected.

EDIT: OOps! I had my terms reversed - Right, this score has trills for the timp, you're saying trem slash marks are more common - Got it--Good, that's what I've been doing.

AH ha, what you said about Finale's triplet tool I think is the same in Sib. I'll try it. Thanks for the replies!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Randy - I prefer to have it as the tremolo marking on the timpani notes - I've seen it both ways, but far more commonly with the tremolo notes.

Well, I guess it all depends on if you are publishing the score for live performance and publication. Thea accepted notation for a timpani roll (or any drum roll for that matter) is the slash notation not the tremolo or trill marking. I conducted orchestras and bands for over 30 years and I don't believe I have ever seen a trill/tremolo marking on a timpani roll. In Finale reproduction, maybe it sounds better (I don't know, never tried it) but in live performance many a drummer would be confounded by that marking. Not to say (sorry drummers) that drummers are dumb, but they certainly expect to see things the same way.

Just my 2 cents - not worth much these days.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Score has been updated. :-)

I see what you mean Bill, though my understanding is that slash notation is the removal of notes from a bar, replacing with slashes - a marking to repeat the last bar.

Tremolo comes in two flavours from using the notation prog, you have the notes that are tremolos without intervals (the slashes on the stem (or above/below the semi-breve) - or the interval tremolo with the indication to quickly move back and forth between the interval indicated.

But all good - the feedback and attention to the craft on the forum from everyone is amazing.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

I must be missing the point. Here is what I normally see in a score when there is a timpani roll: <Click the text to see picture> Timpani Roll

Just curious.

Bill (no not George - Curious George meets the Timpani)

Challenge #10 Winner

Yep that's correct. I've changed the timpani to match how I had the snare drums.

But to clarify (hopefully) - here is the image example of tremolo - same marking.

Tremolo (single note)

And interval tremolo is:
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast