• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Waltz of the Freebies

Share/Bookmark

The Waltz of the Freebies

Had a little bit of time to whip up a short example of what's possible to do with the cost of a computer, a midikeyboard, and about 20min of free time. It's a bit rough around the edges (mostly due to my lousy piano skills), but that was part of the point of demonstrating how good free software can be, with very little effort.

Enjoy!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../CelloSong.wav
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Re: The Waltz of the Freebies

Hi Michael,

For a 20 minutes' piece, this is very nice. I really like the cello sound (free sounds?) There's a bit of work to do with the balance and stereo staging, but the result for now is quite good!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    Had a little bit of time to whip up a short example of what's possible to do with the cost of a computer, a midikeyboard, and about 20min of free time...
    I can't believe it - Michael135! Great to see you here, Michael - looks like you were inspired by the "free VST" thread we currently have going in General Discussion - and I'm glad you were. What you set out to accomplish with this little recording you achieved perfectly - you showed how good freebie instruments can be.

That cello keeps coming up, I see it talked about in quite a few places - It's an amazing thing. Thanks for letting us hear a good demo of it.

AND, hope you get a bit more involved again, Michael. We need more activity here! Great to see you.

Randy

Hi Max and Randy, Thanks for taking the time to listen! The cello is the embertone facebook promo, which you can get by going to their fb page, giving them a like, and then clicking on the promo link. I assume it's still going. Hopefully I'll have more time for musical adventures soon. I have a bunch of other cool freebies that I've picked up, which I can't wait to toss into songs. That's assuming I don't do what I did this time and forget that I posted something in here. :P
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

And Michael, I would say you made your point very well with this example.

I absolutely love it when someone is brave enough to post something that is just whipped together in a few minutes. It is the pure raw improvisational, creative inspiration, aspect of composing as it pours out of you. And with free instruments too, pretty impressive.

Of course at this point, you can add, modify, cleanup, balance, change dynamics, add plugins, and so forth and so on, but that wasn't the point of your post. So great job. The only thing that blatantly bothered me at this point was that I couldn't quite hear the guitar line, either increase a tad or decrease the cello a tad, just take a second for that.

Thanks for the post!

Cass

Go Back to forum