• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another "best piano"...for smooth etheric new age'y stuff?

Share/Bookmark

Another "best piano"...for smooth etheric new age\'y stuff?

I searched quite few of the dicussions about best samples, as well as downloaded some online demos, but most demonstrate classical pieces (and some rock)... I\'ve not heard or read much about samples suited for the panotonic scale kind of jenre. Actually it\'s the kind of style that sometimes does well with a touch of pad behind the piano.
    In any event, I\'d be interested in opinions of what samples might be best for this, as well as any additional layers that would work to create that smooth spacey ambient sound.
    thanks..

Re: Another "best piano"...for smooth etheric new age\'y stuff?

Originally posted by ToneBender:
    I searched quite few of the dicussions about best samples, as well as downloaded some online demos, but most demonstrate classical pieces (and some rock)... I\'ve not heard or read much about samples suited for the panotonic scale kind of jenre. Actually it\'s the kind of style that sometimes does well with a touch of pad behind the piano.
    In any event, I\'d be interested in opinions of what samples might be best for this, as well as any additional layers that would work to create that smooth spacey ambient sound.
    thanks..
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">With the correct playing style (lower velocities), EQ, and nice verb - the Grandioso Steinway would be well suited for this. Having a nice verb is essential (I use a Roland SRV 330).

Given an inspiring unlying pad and the above mentioned items you\'ll find that this piano is very playable for this jenre.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Hi Rob...thanks for your comment. I\'m having trouble identifying all the different samples...is the Grandioso you mention the Steinway B? I see there\'s a Stein D and maybe another. Then there\'s something I see people refer to as the \"MAG\"..what\'s that?
    I\'ve demo\'d the Steinway B and the octaves either side of middle C seem a bit dull, or just lacking in character. I notice that several users talk about tweaking sample parameters to get the best sound. I\'d really just like to load up the piano and start recording.
    ...one other thing; have you heard the Holy Grail? The marketing on is makes it sound like the best thing out there, ie., took 2 years to create, etc.
    thanks again

Find yourself an old Ensoniq SQ2/32 voice keyboard. It has a patch called \"Keys and Pad\" that is perfect. I use it all the time for that type of music. If you want to hear what it sounds like, you can hear it at:

http://www.cdsol.com/cdsol/downloads/Starbirth_Luna.mp3

You could also use the Bardstown Bosendorfer, and combine it with a pad sample. That would be pretty cool. Just have your midi part trigger both. Try using a lowpass filter on the Bosie.

-- Martin

Here are a few new age demos featuring the Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial. The first two demos are the full, pure, and unprocessed sound of the Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial, and the last two demos have a bit of low pass filter applied.

Enjoy!

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/ice.mp3

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/quest.mp3

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/027.mp3

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/028.mp3

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy Holidays, and may Peace be with us all!

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

thanks for the reply Martin....nice music from your Starbirth stuff. Did you do that primarily with the Giga? Is the american indian type flute a Giga sample?
    Seems I\'ve been looking for that great grand piano sound in an electronic form for years now, and it appears the means are at hand...I just have to figure out which one it is; Holy Grail? Steinway B? ...D? ...Grandioso? Bosendorfer? I\'d rather not have to get in and tweak the sample parameters to end up with a usable instrument. Do you know if any of the sample providers will allow returns of their product if you don\'t like them?

Hi Tonebender,

Although I dont usually require exactly the kind of sound that you are describing, I think I know what you mean. Forget about the Holy Grail. Its pretty old now, sounds very digital and I think you would be disappointed.

Ive listened, I think, to just about everything out there although some of what Ive heard is via MP3s and so not to be entirely trusted. That said, I would recommend the Bardstown Bosendorfer which I personally own along with several other top shelf piano libraries. Listen to Kip\'s demos paying particular attention to the Velocity Filter articulation. Using a good quality reverb along with perhaps a pad of some sort, you will get what youre after - or at least as close to it as possible with what\'s currently available.

Jim

Tonebender,

Thanks for the kind words. No Giga in Luna. I played the Native American flute and the keyboard part on my Ensoniq SQ2, and the violin was a violin player that I brought in to record the part. He recorded all the parts for the violin section also. The percussion was from Acid loops.

For my money, the Bardstown Bosendorfer is the most playable and versatile piano available for Giga. I don\'t know of any sample vendors that will take returns, but I can\'t imagine that you would be unappy with the Bardstown Bosie. I just got the Halion 24 bit version and it is really awesome.

-- Martin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Regarding the MAG...

That\'s short for Malmsjo Acoustic Grand, by Art Vista, and it is an excellent piano sample for new-agey, sustained work. I\'d give it a listen along with the others mentioned here.

Go Back to forum