• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO 4 playback - crackling sounds/distortion

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy GPO 4 playback - crackling sounds/distortion

Hi there,

I'm currently struggling with the playback using Finale 2010, ARIA, and GPO4. When I playback my score using the GPO instruments, I get crackling sound and distortion. As far as I know, it is not a clipping issue nor is it crossed channels of instruments. It largely occurs when the layers get thicker or when there are a variety of instruments being played. My computer specs are 2 GB RAM, Windows 7, Celeron processor @ 2.2Ghz. I have even adjusted the Max Engine RAM Allocation to 1.25 on the ARIA > Settings. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.

Re: GPO 4 playback - crackling sounds/distortion

Hi, dharmapaws - It was a good move to increase the RAM in ARIA, because crackling playback in any recording program, Finale, Sibelius, any DAW is always due to insufficient buffers.

You probably know that your computer is rather critically underpowered for the demanding task of working with music. Maybe 2 gigs is listed as minimum, but it's very rare for people to be working successfully with such a small RAM anymore. I have 8 gigs RAM and 6 cores - BUT in Sibelius which I use, there's an odd problem that I have every time I open the program. I too get totally crackling playback at first--but the fix in this particular instance at least, is simple. For some reason, if I open the audio set up dialogue, and simply open the audio set up window and close it again, without doing anything, then all is well and I can work.

Maybe you can try such hocus pocus in Finale and it'll work. Otherwise - you need to find every place where there's a buffer setting, and get it increased. And then -- hopefully you can get a newer computer soon, sorry to say.

Randy

Re: GPO 4 playback - crackling sounds/distortion

Quote Originally Posted by dharmapaws View Post
    Hi there,

I'm currently struggling with the playback using Finale 2010, ARIA, and GPO4. When I playback my score using the GPO instruments, I get crackling sound and distortion. As far as I know, it is not a clipping issue nor is it crossed channels of instruments. It largely occurs when the layers get thicker or when there are a variety of instruments being played. My computer specs are 2 GB RAM, Windows 7, Celeron processor @ 2.2Ghz. I have even adjusted the Max Engine RAM Allocation to 1.25 on the ARIA > Settings. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.
    In Finale, go to Midi/Audio in the task bar, select Device setup, then select Audio Setup and be sure that Buffer size (last option on the page) is at least 1408. Keep in mind that going a lot over that setting can lead to some latency problems when using a midi keyboard.

Go Back to forum