• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking for a Conch Shell sample!

Share/Bookmark

Looking for a Conch Shell sample!

Anybody know where I can find a good Conch Shell or \"Conch Trumpet\" sample? I need to stick some polynesian elements in this score and I thought that would be fun.

Re: Looking for a Conch Shell sample!

Best of Bolder has some really fun conchs. And a lot of other unique and useful sounds. Dennis did a great job converting these from Akia (so they don\'t have all the bells and whistles a dedicated Giga lib would have, but they are well worth the price, IMHO.

Dasher

Try the BBC sound archive
    Some years ago I was asked by Robin Wood of the Beeb to find a source for a Harrison Birtwistle piece which used the same. since I had no source, I suggested David Ledsam of Soar Valley Music and he managed to obtain some from Polynesia. They were used by the BBC for the concert and I believe that they actually took recordings of them for possible future use.
    It\'s worth a try at least.
    Last time I knew of it, the BBC Sound Archive was somewhere near the museums in London on Exhibition Rd ???

The BBC sound archive? We can use the sounds in our music? Really?

Ed

Get \'Roots of the Pacific\' from bigfishaudio....I just used it on a film and got a lot of stuff from it, it\'s well recorded and organized.
    Brett

Thanks Brett. I\'ll check that out.

Ref BBC Sound Archive-

From what I was given to understand by the library/archive, one can gain access to any recording (either of a musical piece or sound) if held in the library/archive. Obviously should you wish to use the music or sound there would be a copyright fee payable but I don\'t know how much it might be for individual sound effects and notes recorded of various instruments.

Go Back to forum