• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Police/Stewart Copeland Sample Library

Share/Bookmark

Police/Stewart Copeland Sample Library

Hey everybody. I was wondering if there was any sort of demand or interest in a drum lib that simulated the type of drum sounds and rock-reggae grooves that Stewart Copeland played with The Police. It\'d be in a DFH/SmartLoops type of format, with groups of looped .wavs packaged alongside a multiformat instrument.

Please post any thoughts.
    Thanks,

Re: Police/Stewart Copeland Sample Library

I think there was a Yamaha drum machine wtih those sounds in the late \'80s. What was the model number...I\'ll have to think about it.

I\'d go for that.

Besides the crisp snares that I associate with Stewart Copeland, I think the next biggest factor in his sound are the hi-hats. I don\'t know how well you could re-produce that via a sample lib.

In fact the Peter Gabriel song Red Rain, off the album So, features Stewart playing live hats over sampled drums.

I guess loops could reproduce it to a certain extent.

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    Besides the crisp snares that I associate with Stewart Copeland, I think the next biggest factor in his sound are the hi-hats. I don\'t know how well you could re-produce that via a sample lib.

In fact the Peter Gabriel song Red Rain, off the album So, features Stewart playing live hats over sampled drums.

I guess loops could reproduce it to a certain extent.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">All true..

Well, I\'m just thinking out loud here.. I\'ve always wanted a sample lib that let me recreate Stewart\'s thing. I\'ve had some luck in the past with certain piccolo snare samples, super-tight kicks, and some close attention to programming, but like you say the hihats are really action-packed and complex and interesting and probably just a little beyond the current state of the art.

So now I find myself with a drummer who can pull off the Stewart thing performancewise and he\'s really into doing a lib. So I\'m looking for a way to defray some of the costs here, gauging interest from you all, my fellow sample consumers. I might just do it for myself, but going commercial would certainly make the intended scope and budget a bit more palatable.

Hi Ed, I hope my comments didn\'t appear negative, it\'s just that Stewarts playing was so detailed...

But if you think you could pull it off, add me to the list, I would be interested in buying a lib like that. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Who are you working with, Ed?

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    Hi Ed, I hope my comments didn\'t appear negative..
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not at all Scott. I agree with you entirely that his playing is complex, detailed and in my opinion one-of-a-kind. My desire to take this on is coming from my love and respect of his work. So in that sense I think we\'re both coming at this from the same place [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    Who are you working with, Ed?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">A local drummer, a UNT cat in his 30s. We\'ve been working together lately in this GB/party cover band, and we got to talking about this just last weekend. He can really cop Stewart\'s style, thus the scheme at hand.

I think it was the Yamaha RX-5. In any case, it was a high-end unit when it came out, and it had that piccolo sd rim shot, etc.

Go Back to forum