• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best FX library ?

Best FX library ?

Hello friends,

I am looking for an FX library to use mostly for TV commercial spots. Sound design type or all kinds of fxs...
    Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Thank you

Re: Best FX library ?

Are you talking general FX or instrument FX?

If it\'s instruments you\'re after (as the movies/shows you\'re advertising should already have their own sound FX) my friend has GOS and RAVES about the string FX a lot... They sound extremely cool for like dramatic/horror spots where you need creepy or unusual sounds...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

If you\'re using GigaStudio, definitely Hollywood Edge. The QuickSound search capability is a super time saver (about 1 second to complete a full boolean search), and the sound effects themselves are about as good as they come. Be sure to get the Giga \"wav\" versions, though, to get the embedded search keywords.

Patrick, if you want to buy a couple of sounds at a time as needed www.sounddogs.com lets you do this. It usually around $5 a sound.

You can also create many sounds effects very easily yourself. All you need is something like a good field mic and a portable dat, laptop, etc. In fact, if you have a long enough mic lead many sounds can be done in your studio or house. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Being a muso, you already understand sound and how to treat it. It is not as big a leap as you might think.

Sounds Dogs are great for the times when you need a jet fly by or explosion or something you cant easily do.

Core libs like Hollywood Edge are definetely handy to have too, its just good to have some \"home grown\" sounds that dont appear in anyone elses work.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Sound Dogs IS great. They get a few bucks from me on almost every show!! It is so cool to be able to download a sound at any time of day or night, and get your work done.

Sound Ideas is the place I go to for my sound libraries. Be careful. I would stay away from most libraries that weren\'t recorded digitally. Most of the big studio libraries like WB and Universal which seem like they\'d be the best, are remasters of old analog recordings that sound like they compiled the libraries by recording the movies through a television speaker with a 57.

I use these libraries for sound effects, so if that\'s what you\'re looking for I\'d recommend Impact Effects 1 and 2, Ad Effects, and if you need any horror stuff, I really like Dark Side of Sound.

Finally! A post I can actually help with! (I\'m a sound designer that works on trailers and commercials -- just left the biz in CA to spend some more time with family and freelance gigs).

Okay, here goes:

For straight sound effects, the Sound Ideas General 6000 (and the three updates) are responsible for about 90% of the \"real\" SFX we post. It\'s big, well-designed, has a CD ROM search engine and is pretty cool.

Sound Dogs is good in a pinch, but our studio has been told that we\'re to use downloads, because of some \"cost cutting measure.\" Plus, most of the stuff we were downloading from SD we were getting from the General 6000 series.

The remaining % is broken up between Hollywood Edge, Valentino (don\'t bother), BBC and some proprietary Turner stuff we used for a bunch of their shows.

For sound design I can conclusively suggest two really cool products:

Brown Bag, which does really cool radio-esque oriented stuff, but a little expensive. Starting to sound a bit dated.

Noise Generator (and Slam Bang Boom and Transitions), all really comprehensive sound design elements packs. (The demo is the best demo I\'ve ever heard) Expensive, but BIG in both size and sound -- the downside is that I\'m starting to hear them all over the place.

and last, but not least, the Impact effects from Sound Ideas are limited, but decent. I find myself using them often enough.

There are a bunch more, but those are the ones that come to mind. If you have specific questions, let me know -- I\'ve used quite a bit of these babies.

- Rich

Hey people,

I will get back to this thread to comment and give thanks but now is showdown time so talk to you in 1 day or two... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Just thought I\'d thrown in my hat for Sounddogs. I love that place, and I\'ve also (well) spent a good chunk of dough there. I particularly love the mp3 examples for each sound - that way you know what you\'re buying.

How about Best Servies Blue Box, Red Box, Pink Box, Black Box...? one of them is the real one they sell I know it...

Go Back to forum