• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New convolution sampling reverb for PC

Share/Bookmark

New convolution sampling reverb for PC

Got the new Samplitude 7.0 this weekend.

Think this is very interesting for all orchestra sample friends:
    The software includes a realtime convolution sampling reverb effect with 490 MB (!) room samples. Real concert halls, churches, cathedrals, studios. Need hours, to step through the presets.

What can I say? Unbelievable! The sound is absolutely incredible. Forget every traditional reverb plugin. Forget the TC M3000/6000 or Lexicon PCM91.

The effect includes a lot settings and is available in every mixer channel, bus, auxbus and on every sound object in the arranger. Latencies down to 1,5 ms. The CPU load is astonishing low. I´ve tested up to 10 room simulator effects at the same time on a 2 GHz Athlon. Maybe it´s possible, to use the program as simple reverb unit on an separate system with 4 or 6 stereo reverb I/Os.

Curious? They got a good description on their website: www.samplitude.com.

A demo is available, but includes only a non realtime version of the effect with a realtime preview option. Easy to use: Import a sound file, select it in the arranger and choose room simulator in the effect menu. Try the cathedral impulse response. Wow!

There is also a video on the website, showing the sampling reverb in action.

Re: New convolution sampling reverb for PC

wow, interesting hope it sounds as good as altiverb.

yah convolution rocks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Its nice to see something for realtime on the PC. Especially getting 10 instances of it on this sucker.

I wonder who else is workign on realtime convolvers......

Oh yeah! This one seems like a winner... Maybe it´s time to leave the NFX-1 alone already. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    I´m not using macs so altiverb never really got my attention.

Well.. as long as it only works internally in Samplitude 7, I don\'t think I\'ll ever use it.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Precisely. I use Wavelab and am very happy with it. But maybe the sampling reverb alone would be worth the Samplitude price. Or, will they sell the reverb also separately?
    Ondrej

Can\'t one use Acoustic Mirror (included with Sound Forge) as a DirectX plugin in Logic? Sound Forge is $350, useful for audio editing (something Logic could do better) and includes a convolution reverb. How is what\'s included with Samplitude better?

Steve Chandler

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by pantonality:
    Can\'t one use Acoustic Mirror (included with Sound Forge) as a DirectX plugin in Logic? Sound Forge is $350, useful for audio editing (something Logic could do better) and includes a convolution reverb. How is what\'s included with Samplitude better?

Steve Chandler
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It sounds to me like it is more efficient with buffers. That\'s the only issue with Acoustic Mirror. It only works well in realtime in Vegas and Sound Forge (which handle its buffer hunger well).

Thanks Bruce, that explains why Acoustic Mirror can only be purchased as part of Sound Forge. So if I use Logic I would need to bounce (Logic speak for digital mix) each section (violin 1, 2, violas, woodwinds, brass, etc) to a separate audio file import it into Sound Forge for Acoustic Mirror processing, then do final mix. Sounds like a PITA and that\'s why I haven\'t bought Sound Forge yet. I guess I\'m still looking for a reasonable convolution solution for the PC. It isn\'t going to come from Emagic/Apple and I\'m not yet ready to migrate to other software. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks anyway.

Steve

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by pantonality:
    Thanks Bruce, that explains why Acoustic Mirror can only be purchased as part of Sound Forge. So if I use Logic I would need to bounce (Logic speak for digital mix) each section (violin 1, 2, violas, woodwinds, brass, etc) to a separate audio file import it into Sound Forge for Acoustic Mirror processing, then do final mix. Sounds like a PITA and that\'s why I haven\'t bought Sound Forge yet. I guess I\'m still looking for a reasonable convolution solution for the PC. It isn\'t going to come from Emagic/Apple and I\'m not yet ready to migrate to other software. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks anyway.

Steve
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually, it\'s a DirectX plugin, so anything that will host DirectX will run it. It\'s just buffer-hungry, so you need an app that can handle allocating it.

Go Back to forum