• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DIVA Sample Library showcased in Game Score

Share/Bookmark

DIVA Sample Library showcased in Game Score

Hello NS!

I just wanted to take a moment to share my initial experiences with the DIVA sample library, produced by Francis Belardino (www.beladmedia.com). I\'m making extensive use of it in a game soundtrack I\'m working on (Freeworld Online MMORPG) and I am really enthusiastic about the great work he\'s done on this library.

DIVA is a haunting, rich, and colorful set of samples. It really adds a mystical quality to a composition, and it works well in any level of a mix. I\'ve used it to carry a solo line as well as a subordinate backup to soprano sections in other choir libraries. It blends very well with VOTA and other choral sets.

I\'m really anxious for DIVA Extended, an add-on that will really flesh out and \"extend\" the possibilities with this great library. For those of you who haven\'t checked out DIVA yet, you can hear it in action in the Freeworld Online score.

http://www.scottbmorton.com/freeworld_score.htm

Tracks 2,3, 19, and 20 currently have DIVA in some form in them. More DIVA will show up in future tracks for this game.

Congrats, Francis, on a great library. I\'m really looking forward to your upcoming choral libraries.

-Scott B. Morton
    Indy Game Composer

Re: DIVA Sample Library showcased in Game Score

This is wonderful news.

Thank you both for your support.

Just got a chance to listen to the mp3\'s, very nice use of this great lib...

It\'s nice to see DIVA being used in a project like this, and fitting in so well. The compositions are lovely SonicThreadz...

AL

Ya know, I\'ve never commented on this library. I give praise to Francis for the fantastic attempt at capturing solo voices for sampling, and it indeed the best of its kind, but then again, isn\'t it the only one? Maybe it\'s just me, but I feel this library still sounds synthetic in the way the samples were used. It could possibly be because of the way you tried to give full control of the voice on every note and velocity, rather than a short style riff run through. I personally prefer a real soloist anyday of the week, and I\'m sure you all can agree. Isn\'t there anyone you would know with a decent singing voice? DIVA just sounds a little \"flat\", and unemotional, like a robot trying to emulate a human voice. It sounds good, but deep down you KNOW it\'s not a real person. Great library if you don\'t have access to a good singer though, but then again, I think there\'s a big spread between the two also. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Jared

Originally posted by Jared Hudson:
    Maybe it\'s just me, but I feel this library still sounds synthetic in the way the samples were used.

[snip]

DIVA just sounds a little \"flat\", and unemotional, like a robot trying to emulate a human voice.

Jared
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Dude, it\'s just you... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I personally prefer a real soloist anyday of the week, and I\'m sure you all can agree. Isn\'t there anyone you would know with a decent singing voice?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Two things;

- the budget may not allow for a real vocalist/hiring a studio (if a studio is required)
    - you may not have the time. For example, its 11pm and the project is due tomorrow morning.

Actually a third one; you may not have access to decent talent in a specified period of time. (Soloist is booked out or there are no great ones in your area)

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I personally prefer a real soloist anyday of the week, and I\'m sure you all can agree. Isn\'t there anyone you would know with a decent singing voice?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Two things;

- the budget may not allow for a real vocalist/hiring a studio (if a studio is required)
    - you may not have the time. For example, its 11pm and the project is due tomorrow morning.

Actually a third one; you may not have access to decent talent in a specified period of time. (Soloist is booked out or there are no great ones in your area)
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, I meant if maybe you knew any nearby relatives, or friends that would do it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Don\'t get me wrong. DIVA is one of a kind, and definitely worth it if you didn\'t have anyone.

Jared

Of course DIVA could never replace a real opera singer. But please know this - both women that were sampled are just that. They are both full time singers for the Philadelphia Opera Company.

- Just a quick defensive of the talent used. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Back to the topic:

I believe what you are hearing is the beat of the vibrato. Diva Extended, featuring straight tone and delayed vibrato, will help us convince you and your clients even more. But of course, even with this extended version, it will always fall short of a \"live\" vocalist.

Do other voice libraries replace what they have sampled? Of course not.
    Do they capture every possible nuance? Not even close.
    Are they amazing and powerful tools? Without question.

I appreciate and respect everything you had said.

Best
    FB

EDIT IN:

\"It could possibly be because of the way you tried to give full control of the voice on every note and velocity, rather than a short style riff run through\"

Finally, yet importantly, Performance Files. Possibly the most exciting section of DIVA is a trilogy of mood driven phrases. All captured with natural legato and a varying degree of breathing, and mouth noises.

Originally posted by sonicthreadz:

DIVA is a haunting, rich, and colorful set of samples. It really adds a mystical quality to a composition, and it works well in any level of a mix. I\'ve used it to carry a solo line as well as a subordinate backup to soprano sections in other choir libraries. It blends very well with VOTA and other choral sets.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I second that, it really works well with vota (I tried it with the angels pad). I am crazy about the voice of solist 2, which is very dark and doomful. Diva has it\'s own human expression, which seems the only possibility for a solo vocal library. I mean you can\'t create a solo voice library without the expression of a specific \"feeling\", which excludes of course all the other feelings. That Diva has such a personal charactere is certainly an advantage, if not it would not sound so human (IMO). Let\'s imagine this: you have one pad for joy, one for sadness, one for religios expression, one for agressif expression :-D. There\'s still lot to sample!
    Anyway, good luck for Bela D Media!

I\'ll back Jared because Houston is being a jerk [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I dont think the syntheticness has anything to do with the recording or the talent tho. Its just the fact thats its samples. Piecing ahhs and oohs together jsut never sounds real. Its most noticable with solo voice since its pretty much impossible to recreate it with samples (without some sort of legato option, and dynamic controls).

I have heard samples of solo voice from custom recordings that do tend to make me forget its a sample, but they are a totally different style of voice, not to mention also sampled by someone who knows how to sample what he needs, which is different than sampling for a library for many people that have different needs.

Go Back to forum