• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie Question About Key Switches.

Share/Bookmark

Newbie Question About Key Switches.

I'm using logic and am trying my first passage with Violin 1 Solo KS. I'm experimenting with 1 long note set as an endless loop. I've placed key switches along the length of the notes and I can watch the key switches "playing" on the Aria sample player, but there is no change in the note. No pizz, no trills, just one long sustained note. When I stop the transport while the whole step trill is keyed, I get a single short, whole step note. If a half-step trill is keyed, it's a single short, half-step note. What am I doing wrong? (I didn't find anything on this in the KS part of the manual).

Re: Newbie Question About Key Switches.

P.S. I figured out that the key switch will not operate on a note that is already in progress. That makes sense, but the problem with the trills remains. Only a short, single half-step or whole-step note at the end of the note. I'm pretty sure there's something trivial here that I'm missing.

P.P.S. Also, there doesn't seem to be any response to the tremolo key switch. The pizz works fine.

Welcome to the Garritan world and community.

Trills etc. are designed to be easy for the novice to play with a keyboard.

Try pressing and holding a key, then press then release another key, still with the first one pressed.
    The result should be a perfect trill and tremolo too, I believe.

Regards,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by artlowell View Post
    ...the problem with the trills remains. Only a short, single half-step or whole-step note at the end of the note. I'm pretty sure there's something trivial here that I'm missing.
    Hello, Art - I'm only just now seeing your post. This Forum you posted in as pretty much defunct, since the topic is for all the string Libraries that were discontinued long ago. General Discussion is about the only Forum page members visit anymore, so I invite you to join in there.

I was perplexed at first by these trill keyswitches you're talking about. I expected a full trill to play, and not just those two short notes. But once I discovered their purpose, I've found them very useful:

--You simply play the same note repeatedly at half time of what the intended speed of the trill is. Instant trill. The only issue is that your final note will still end on that half step up from your trill's starting point. It's a bit clumsy, but to resolve a trill while using those kinds of KS patches, I insert a single note from the regular sample pool.

An easier way to play trills on any instrument is with Auto Legato on. That makes the playback true "mono mode" so when you hold the first note down and rapidly play the second note of your trill repeatedly, a true trill is the result, and the passage will end on your first note as long as you've continued to hold the first key down long enough.

Randy

Go Back to forum