• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Can someone do me a favor?

Can someone do me a favor?

Hi everyone, I\'m a new guy here. I\'m a recording studio engineer who uses ProTools on a daily basis. I work for numerous composers who use GigaStudio all the time. While I have never used it myself, I have mixed hours and hours of material right out of the program.

That aside, I have come across a little problem. I had to patch up some basic MIDI work in ProTools on a piano track. I was relying on my GigaStudio buddies to help me run the MIDI through the program and through some of the best samples they had for grand pianos. Unfortunately, not one of them is around to do it for me. But I got in touch with one of them on the phone (he\'s in LA now) and he referred me to this forum. He said I could most likely get some help from you guys.

Can anyone do this favor for me? The piano track is for an acoustic rock project that is getting mastered in Nashville in two days. This is the last track I need to get done. I have some old Korgs laying around, but I can\'t get a convincing enough piano sound from them.

If anyone could run my MIDI track through your best grand piano samplers, that would save my *** , and then some.

Anyone who can help...it would be greatly appreciated! I sure hope I don\'t get fired... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: Can someone do me a favor?

Hey, send me an email:

include the MIDI file as well as any details and I\'ll do it Tuesday evening for you.

-Scott Morton

If anyone could run my MIDI track through your best grand piano samplers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hmmmm, I\'d be wondering about my EULA here...

Hmm yeah good point Scott. I didn\'t think of that. I could maybe stick to Gigapiano; that\'s packaged with Gigastudio and if they\'ve got a copy of that in the studio, it\'d be covered.

Steinway B owns u [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

>Hmmmm, I\'d be wondering about my EULA here...

I raised a question similar to this, and basically the only developer who answered my quesiton is Eric Persing (Spectrasonics). The answer I got is \"Yes, you can\". Basically, you\'re a freelancer delivering the FINISHED product... you\'re a hired gun, or session musician. The client doesn\'t get his hands on your sample CDs or your keyboard. Check out this thread.

Too bad I didn\'t get any answer from Gary or Nick or other developers. I wonder why.... ???? Maybe, some things are better left without an official position? Leave the user in the dark and just to be safe, force the end-client to purchase the license too?

Well this guy make no mention of remuneration so your not really even a hired gun.

I took Eric\'s discussion more to mean that if I front up to a project with my samples, they hire me and my samples.

I mean, imagine if I mocked up a piece in AO and said; \"Hey buddy, I hear you\'ve got VSL, can you render this for me?\"

I can see your point Owel, but still think this is a bit of a \"grey\" one.

Hey yall.

First off, I don\'t understand half of the language you Giga buffs speak, so here goes.

I know most of your probably work for money to do things like this all the time. I just wanted to throw it our there and see what would come. Sorry I\'f I\'ve made anybody mad! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

As long as he\'s not asking for samples - it\'s cool.

For a performance - it\'s worth whatever he\'s willing to pay. If it\'s nadda and you\'re willing to do it for that - then all to the good! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum