• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Some thoughts about QLSO...

Some thoughts about QLSO...

People are anticipating this library but seem scared by the announced size of it.

I\'ve been doing some calculations based on the information available on their EWQLSO site and this is what I\'ve found:

If you assume that they recorded 1000gb (1 terrabyte) worth of material in 24-bit 88.2khz and 176.4khz stereo using 3 mic setups (close, distant and surround) the amount of actual data in 16-bit 44khz would be:

264.6/44.1*(1.5)=9 meaning the 24-bit stereo data is 9 times as large as it would be in 16-bit stereo 44khz.

This leaves us with roughly 111gb worth of raw 16-bit 44khz stereo material. This is then to be divided on 3 (because this data compromises the 3 different mic setups) leaving us with a round number of 37gb. Quite managable indeed.

One second of 16-bit 44khz stereo digital audio takes 172kb of diskspace. To find out the actual amount of sample material they recorded (in minutes) we do this calculation:

37gb*1024b*1024b = 38797312kb / 172kb = (225565 seconds) / 3600 (for hours) = 62 hours and 30 mins.

That\'s 62 hours and 30 minutes worth of raw sample material.

If we assume that this is actually raw sample material as a result of leaving the multitrack on record constantly during the sessions, then allow me do the following calculation:

A typical orchestra musicians work-day is 5 hours long. 62 / 5 = 12.4. In other words I\'m guessing it took them about 2-3 weeks to record the library.

Purely fictional of course [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway this is just trivia. BY NO MEANS official! It\'s just me, having some fun with numbers really, nothing else [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Some thoughts about QLSO...

he he - You left out the coffee breaks, so add
    another week. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hehe I left out the actual wage data, realizing it was pretty far fetched [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If the library is released in it\'s 24-bit 88.2khz state, as planned, that means you\'ll have to multiply the size of the library with 2.5 * 3 (mic positions).

On a side note though, I always found plumbers to be greedy bastards [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We had a guy over to fix some leakage and he wanted roughly $600. No ****ing way, I said, and called up a friend of mine who\'s in the business. Came over the next day and fixed it for less than $200.

Btw, some european orchestras sell themselves pretty damn cheap. I just read an article about a professional orchestra recording in europe where the musicians were getting paid around $10-15 / hour! Pretty insane.

Well, they didn\'t say *anything* about where and who recorded... they also didn\'t say it was a named orchestra which was recorded... Could be done all over the world. IMO. Please correct me if I\'m wrong.

Dear Thomas J \"Williams\",

I think your calculations are pretty wild and I actually thought you were doing demos for the QLSO. Hmmmmmm. Damn. Would have loved to hear your creative talent going into these. Anyway.

My only concern with all the MIC placements is that its gonna take some of the spontanious action out of composing. I mean - its gonna take time to choose what instruments should do what and so forth. But its prolly just me whining. I hope so.

Love - Chris

all you do is choose one mic set up when you compos (prolly the stage since its the \"middle\" mic position).

there may even be a \"mixed\" setup giving you a chance to use something thats premixed, while composing

Funny topic. Thomas is no fool [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .
    btw- It\'s a major American orchestra and the ambiences are not a hassle. Even the close mics alone sound pretty incredible because they are not that close.

Listen to the idiot. He has his head on level. Compose with one setup and then master with the full set. Sounds like a plan. This should be a nice library.

Hehe Lewis, It\'s very nice of you to say such kind words (thank you for the post in the Jeremy Soule thread!), but how do I respond to such comments? Thomas J. _Williams_ is perhaps A BIT undeserved, hehe! If I can be Jr. Williams then I hereby declare you Lewis Jr. Elfman! Or how about Jr. Soule? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, at this point I don\'t know more about this library than everybody else on this forum. I know the guys are busy getting stuff ready for NAMM.

Go Back to forum