• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Grand pianos for jazz!

Share/Bookmark

Grand pianos for jazz!

We finally had time to add a real good jazz demo for the GRANDIOSO grand pianos.
    Check out these two: both use the same midi file and were recorded sec (no eq, no reverb, no compression) just as they are when you load them from disk.

This is the Steinway D Classic 16 layer patch:
    PMI Steinway D Skylark

This is the dry Bosendorfer 16 layer patch:
    PMI Bosendorfer 290 Skylark
    These files give you a good comparison between the two GRANDIOSO libraries. Some prefer the Steinway D, some prefer the Bosendorfer 290. Each has their own, specific merits. This piece shows some of the possibilities. Listening to the demos I was just wandering why we didn\'t record a grand piano slightly out of tune for authenticity...

Also note we have a special Christmas deal that expires Jan. 1! (that is 2 weeks to go)
    Both libraries as a package for $ 395 instead of $490.

Michiel Post

Re: Grand pianos for jazz!

Lovely. Just lovely.

Love - Chris

Sounds nice, Michiel. Was there any reverb used on either piece? Or other processing?

Hi Hasen,
    Nothing was used to make the sound different. This is what the GST sound capture utility recorded when playing the raw midi.
    No eq, no reverb, no dynamics..nothing.

So its a combination of the ambient mic\'ed samples and the close mic\'ed? Which the levels can be altered as desired? What about release samples? Actually come to think of it, do pianos need release samples? I guess they do, but not as much as some other instruments.

What I\'m trying to ask is how the ambience is controlled/achieved. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Michiel, could you post the same file with the WET 16 voice BOS???

J.Grant

Originally posted by Hasen:
    So its a combination of the ambient mic\'ed samples and the close mic\'ed? Which the levels can be altered as desired? What about release samples? Actually come to think of it, do pianos need release samples? I guess they do, but not as much as some other instruments.

What I\'m trying to ask is how the ambience is controlled/achieved. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The Grandioso libraries are two differnt piano with two different approaches to ambience.

First the Bosendorefr 290 was recorded with two different mic settings. I have combined these samples in one gig. Some presets give you continous control over the mic placement by means of the modulation control wheel. It crossfades between the \"dry\" and the \"wet\"(ambient) samples.

The Steinway was also recorded at two different positions; these samples are programmed in two gigs. You can combine these by linking two midi ports and having each gig on a different port (though on the same midi chanel). By routing the outputs of each gig to a seperate audio card pair you can make your own balance.
    Michiel

Originally posted by JohnGrant:
    Michiel, could you post the same file with the WET 16 voice BOS???

J.Grant
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I will do that on Monday!

Hey are you \"Mike Post\" who scores Philiy, by any chance?

Ed

Thank you Michiel for finally representing us jazzers out there! The more I listen to the Steinway, the more I think I\'m going to have to get my credit card out again. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum