• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dear Forum members - Thank You!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Dear Forum members - Thank You!

Without the invaluable input from you, the majority of the Forum's most active members, I would never have been able to get my "A Most Amusing Man" score in any kind of presentable shape.

The score's gone through a myriad of changes since I first posted the totally wrong 4/4 version in The Listening Room. Slowly but surely, with your expert guidance and thanks to the generous expenditure of your time and attention, the score has gone through a complete transformation.

Getting the formatting correct has been the biggest focus, from notating rests and notes in 12/8 time correctly, to using ties and slurs correctly, and many other details which initially were either sloppy or completely missing.

I incorporated virtually every note given. In the few instances where there were several correct ways to go, I made my choices.

The music itself has changed also. It's now in the more standard Concert Band key of F. There are better note choices made here and there, and three new lines being added to the score in keeping with standard Concert Band orchestration-- Now there's a flute 2, clarinet 2, and alto sax 2.

There may still be things that could be improved, but hopefully it's no longer so amateurish that it would be dismissed out of hand if I decide to submit it to a publisher.

I made a good sized document of all the notes you gave me on the various threads I've had going about this. NOW I have the task coming up of applying everything in that doc to the two other Concert Band scores I have which need as much editing as this one did. whew---I can do it!

Here's the score you helped clean up. I need to make a new audio demo, and that's a very big project in itself, but for now, here's what I have:

"Final" score of "A Most Amusing Man"

EDIT: 7/9/13 new file up with multiple fixes

THANK YOU ALL!

Randy

Re: Dear Forum members - Thank You!

Thanks Randy. The work looks clean to me. Though I didn't help much, I did try to put my 2 cents on the line!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

And this is the point where everyone says, "Oh, disregard what I said, I meant to say do the exact OPPOSITE of what I suggested!"

All joking aside, glad I could help in the small way I could. Great work Randy, and good luck on your other arrangements!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Randy,

This looks much better than the first one I viewed. Nice job.

A couple of small tweaks I noticed on page one. In the Trpts. 2/3 and Horns 2/3, add an a2 at their first entrance in ms. 5. Also add a dynamic to the first trumpet in ms. 5 also.

As a final step in proofing a score. I usually go through the score horizontally. So I'll start with the piccolo and just look at the Picc. part all the way through. It's during this final proofing that I find the small tweaks like I mentioned above. These are easy to miss when viewing a score page vertically, but when just viewing a single part, these omissions jump right out at you.

Good luck,
    JT

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Thanks Randy. The work looks clean to me. Though I didn't help much, I did try to put my 2 cents on the line!
    Your encouragement was very helpful, Rich, worth much more than 2 cents!

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    And this is the point where everyone says, "Oh, disregard what I said, I meant to say do the exact OPPOSITE of what I suggested!"

All joking aside, glad I could help in the small way I could. Great work Randy, and good luck on your other arrangements!
    Ha! Well, hopefully nobody wants to retract any advice they may have given me, because I did indeed take all input to heart. Thanks, Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    ...Trpts. 2/3 and Horns 2/3, add an a2 at their first entrance in ms. 5. Also add a dynamic to the first trumpet in ms. 5 also.

As a final step in proofing a score. I usually go through the score horizontally...It's during this final proofing that I find the small tweaks like I mentioned above...
    Jeff, you've been amazingly tireless in your efforts to help me out. And you're still on the job!

Labeling the Horn line as "Horns 2/3" was a slip up. There are just two lines, horn 1, horn 2. In that case, once I name the staff correctly, that will fix things, right? Because "a2" is only used for staves intended for more than one part, right?

The second trumpet staff is labeled correctly, since in a few measures there are different notes for trumpet 2 and trumpet 3. BUT I had no idea I needed to add "a2" at their first entrance - I thought unless indicated otherwise, it was understood everyone on that part is supposed to play. It's just another notation rule I haven't grasped before this.

hehehe, the rest of your post made me chuckle. Scrutinizing lines horizontally is exactly what I've done for weeks now, for the average of 6 hours a day. I'm afraid that mistakes and omissions don't jump out for me, because I'm still so clumsy with the process. I've gone over every single line many, many times. Then I've looked at 2 instruments at a time, 3, 4 - section by section, then the whole thing, still horizontally, trying to catch things like notes not ending at the same time when they're supposed to. Apparently my visual perception isn't too keen when looking at a score. Hmmm, I wonder if my mild Dyslexia makes score editing more difficult?

In working on a new audio demo of this in Sonar, I caught a few tiny errors, including one mysterious wrong note which I swear must have just migrated on its own when I wasn't looking!

I'll replace the file at the link when I've fixed things up again.

Thanks, guys!

Randy

My last post for a couple of weeks, the computer is hooked up in the other room for the holidays and typing is awkward.

The score is looking better and better. Ultimately it's the music that matters and it's a good piece. If a publisher takes it up, they'll have their own copyists go over it for any slips anyway. The demo should the decider in the end (in my opinion).

It's very easy to just not see things in the score even when we've checked and checked. I've done it myself. I've published pieces that I thought were free of errors only to find a slur missing or staccato dot missing etc etc etc... So don't be too hard on yourself Randy, and keep the questions coming, we all learn from them and it keeps tired old brains like mine sharp!

The best of luck with it all!
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Quote Originally Posted by yjoh View Post
    My last post for a couple of weeks, the computer is hooked up in the other room for the holidays and typing is awkward.
    Hi, Yjoh - Apparently it'll be awhile before you see my reply, but you've made me curious. You're in Australia- What holiday season are you observing? Tisha B'Av? Or Ramadan? - And why does it call for the computer being in the other room? Typing is awkward, because you're not there in the room with the monitor? AH - You're using the computer for a video connection to your TV in the living room? Thought about using a wireless keyboard so you can type from anywhere, sitting on a couch, sitting at the dining table?-- I'm just being nosy and curious - Your opening paragraph made me want to solve the little mystery of what you mean exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by yjoh View Post
    ...The score is looking better and better. Ultimately it's the music that matters and it's a good piece. If a publisher takes it up, they'll have their own copyists go over it...The demo should the decider in the end...It's very easy to just not see things in the score even when we've checked and checked... So don't be too hard on yourself Randy...!
    You are ever a positive voice of encouragement, Yjoh, and I really appreciate that.

When I posted this revised score two days ago, I was really hoping that it was IT, the one to submit. But I have my page of new notes to implement, including some of my own notes, like a hairpin not extending as far as it should, and some notes inside slurs that should be tied. I'll replace the posted file so the same link goes to it.

I've just been trying to follow the advice I've gotten, which is that the people going over submissions in publishing houses will dismiss something immediately if there's the slightest bit of amateurism in the format. It's also been pointed out to me that while it's true a publisher will re-do a score to make it comply with their particular house style, and to make corrections as needed, - they don't want their engravers to spend an inordinate amount of time on the editing. The less work they have to do, the more practical it is for them to take a piece on. Hence, my quest to make this as publisher-ready as possible.

One slight hitch in the plan is that I have two other scores that now need massive editing, based on the notes I've gotten on this sample score, and one of them is actually the piece I have the most faith in. It just means I have many more weeks, maybe months of editing to do, and I'm finding it very difficult to face the task, it's been so grueling for me so far.

I've made good headway into producing a new demo of this piece which will be a totally accurate reflection of the score. I'd like my Forum helpers to have a listen when I'm finished.

So, I'm trying to not be too hard on myself. I've just found this process to be far more difficult than I ever imagined. -- Still indulging in fantasies of being rich and hiring an expert to fix things up--Aaah, but time to wake up again, and dig back into the work.

Thanks again, Yjoh.

Randy

Score is looking better than ever. Probably one of the main things that might see a score rejected is ambiguity.

If the intention in the parts is clear enough for the grade level, they probably won't mind making their own minor adjustments. More a case of moving this or that left a bit, right a bit, rather than deleting or feeling the need to add expressions.

I'll be following this, and hoping to see it available one day. You deserve it not only because all the time and effort applied, but because the music should be performed.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Good luck with this piece, Randy! Remember--keep submitting! One at a time, but don't be discouraged. Line up your publishers so that when one says no, it goes to the next one right away. I suppose submitting is like riding a horse--fall off, and get right back up there in the saddle! Remember this, too: PERSISTENCE.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

The link in the opening post now goes to an updated score, as of today, 7/9/13. Besides the new notes on this thread, I had made a list of things to fix. Surely this is really IT this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Score is looking better than ever...I'll be following this, and hoping to see it available one day. You deserve it not only because all the time and effort applied, but because the music should be performed.
    Thank you very much, Graham. I think a band could have fun with it. Maybe one (or two, or three!) will eventually have the opportunity to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Good luck with this piece, Randy! Remember--keep submitting! One at a time, but don't be discouraged. Line up your publishers so that when one says no, it goes to the next one right away. I suppose submitting is like riding a horse--fall off, and get right back up there in the saddle! Remember this, too: PERSISTENCE.

Art
    We'll see if I actually end up submitting this one, Art. I really do want to have the other two half-done scores finished, and up-to-date audio demos also finished first. If a publisher says, "OMG! WHERE have you been! Send us everything you got!"--I want to be prepared. hehe.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, I know that if I do send things out, I'll need to make room on my desk for a stack of rejection letters. Many are called, few are chosen!

Thank you both for all your help, and to everyone here who chipped in on the cause!

Randy

Go Back to forum