• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tango Anyone?

Share/Bookmark

Tango Anyone?

Here is my rendition of Libertango for our Brass sextet. This one was fun to arrange.

GPO4 : 2 Trumpets, 2 Horns, Trombone and Bass Trombone.

Enjoy!
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Tango Anyone?

Of course NOT me! Too old for that. I mean dancing. Musically? GREAT!!!! Love it all, but especially from about 1:00 to the end, the trumpets!! Really nice. Not good enough: brilliant.

Ted

It's always good to see you here with more music for us, Bill. This piece has an unusual, interesting feel to it that I couldn't always quite place as a tango. Your creativity is coming through nicely! Bet the group has fun with it. - That bouncing stereo effect, I guess that's horns trading off notes back and forth, and you have them panned on opposite sides of the stage?

I like it!

Randy

I really like how you have this piece "layered" in your arrangement on this one Bill.

The lower "bones" for the most part perform the syncopated rhythmic ostinato pattern forming the chord base, and the others have great counterpoint interplay....a couple with the melody and the others doing that kind of quasi trill/run figuration pattern. I love the melody incidentally, it's quite catchy.

I always enjoy a good brass ensemble and this one shines because of how you arranged the instruments. Great job!

Cass

Cass, Randy and Ted, thanks for stopping in and listening. It should be a fun piece to attempt. We have the group than can place this. Can't wait until the next rehearsal.

best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

My brother suggested a few changes, a brief interlude in the middle before continuing the tango. I came up with this change:

Libertango 2

It's a fun piece.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

I'd say small brass arrangements have got to be tough - you make it sound easy. Piece reminds me a little of 'The Cuckcoo' by Louis Claude Daquin.

Apart from a few clipping issues in the wave file, the brass is sounding great.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    I'd say small brass arrangements have got to be tough - you make it sound easy. Piece reminds me a little of 'The Cuckcoo' by Louis Claude Daquin.

Apart from a few clipping issues in the wave file, the brass is sounding great.
    Thanks for the comments Plowking. This is a fun piece. The clipping was caused by my audio engineer forgetting to set the correct volumes. He's an idiot, but I still like him. He's crude and makes mistakes, but I still like him. Well, why not, it's me!

Ah well. I will correct the clipping. Thanks again,

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Hey Bill,

Loved this one! This is why I'm an arranger at heart ... taking a work and bringing it into a fresh home.

I don't think I would have thought to arrange/orchestrate it for a brass ensemble (and I would love to have the lip balm concession after the performance! ), but somehow you did it and it sounds very intriuging.

The melody haunted me enough to Wiki and YouTube the piece and enjoy a few additional versions, including Astor Piazzolla w/ Yo Yo Ma and a basically string treatment (w/ Astor himself on Bandoneon!). A Swingle Singers version rounded out my morning of modern tango!

Good luck performing this ... it will rock the audience I'm sure!

Frank

Thanks Frank,

We have the horses (I think). trying to put a book together and get some latin dancers to dance as we play ala the Quintango quartet out of D.C.

Oh well, if we don;t have pipe dreams, we don't have any dreams!

Tanks for listening to a fun project.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum