My WIP finally becomes a work in the bag. I hope you don't mind a new thread.
Thanks to the great feedback from the forum members, and a special honorary mention for Cass, who's kept a close eye on this as I stitched it together from bits of old notes and sticky tape.
If there's any questions or more information wanted (Cass was interested in the mixing), I'll elaborate here as best I can. Which usually isn't very good. I'll try and be detailed for once!
From the previous thread I mentioned the following:
When it comes to finally mixing the piece I find I don't always have a lot to do because I try to get the MIDI as close as possible to something finished. (I used to always just export the MIDI and that'd be the finished piece).
Now I make changes in volume envelopes at the mixing stage to help with the balance and dynamics. When you can see the envelope as well as hear, you tend to realise that some elements are getting completely lost rather than just bubbling under the surface. You can rescue the detail you intended with watching for this.
I have it set up now that each midi channel (each instrument) has its own audio output track. That way I can put different EQ and reverb settings on every single track. I have to admit I'm not so great on the mixing side of things either - I use a lot of presets and rarely make too many adjustments. With the MIDI data sounding hot off the press, the audio data only needs a few tweaks, meaning I haven't learned how to do anything too extensive. I'd even be interested in handing the mixing stage over to someone who really knows what they are doing so I can hear what's possible (or how someone else might interpret the mix).
The reverb is on 4 separate busses (100% wet, one reverb for each family, Woods, Brass, Percussion, Strings). I send a portion of every instrument to the relevant buss - so Flutes 1 and 2 for example, starting at no signal, I send about -10db of the original signal to the woodwinds buss. (this is how Ableton, the DAW I use, handles 'effects tracks'). I use Altiverb for reverb, so I have stage placement set up in that to bring the sound closer for strings, or further, for percussion.
Repeat the reverb assignments all the way down through each instrument.
I only pan instruments that were not recorded in their positions already - for what I work with that means only percussion needs panning.
Not sure if any of this is helpful, I could probably waffle on about any number of random mixing/setup scenarios, so if there's a specific question you could grab from this, let me know.